Hardware suggestions for a home server setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

YurkshireLad

Dec 18, 2020
Hi all. I'm looking at ideas for putting together a really cheap, tiny server to run NextCloud at home. There are three of us and it would just be used to store personal files that we don't want to save to the cloud.

A tiny footprint is important due to table space it would plug into the router via an ethernet cable.

I think I would probably boot from a smaller SSD and have an additional SSD for data storage. I considered having 2 raided SSDs for data storage, but I could probably mitigate that by having daily backups. I don't know what backup mechanisms I would use yet, so that's something else to consider.

I would also need get a UPS as we can lose power in summer with storms or if the wind blows in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

Obviously it would run Linux, though I'm not sure which one yet. That might depend on the hardware. I'm familiar with most of the major distros so that's not a concern.

I've read reviews and watched videos about various tiny PCs, such as various Lenovo ThinkCentre (e.g. M900 off the top of my head). I think one of these would work if it can support 2 SSDs. These can get expensive here in Canada, even on the used market. Older examples, such as the M73 are fairly cheap though.

I've also done some research on Raspberry Pi 4. I would have to get a case that could fit 2 SSDs and a good fan for cooling. I just watched a video on the Pi Top case, which includes a battery. That would be useful for when power is lost.

My budget is pretty small - I don't have a max number, but excluding SSD purchases (if not included in the chosen hardware) it might be C$200-250 tax. Is that even possible? Hmmm...

All that to say, any suggestions from people that have already gone down this route? is the Pi4 worth considering for this or should I stick to a tiny form factor PC?

Thanks

Marsh

May 12, 2013
All that to say, any suggestions from people that have already gone down this route? is the Pi4 worth considering for this or should I stick to a tiny form factor PC?
No,
SBC may appear to be inexpensive, when you add all the necessary accessories.
You be surprise the total cost of SBC, price is higher than older HP, Lenovo, Dell mini.

See STH TMM series for information

I am not familiar with Canda used tiny pc price.
I
Before the pandemic, normal US ebay price of HP G1 mini I5-45xx is $75 with 4-8gb ram.
HP G2 mini I5-6500T around $100 with 4-8gb ram.

Last week, I missed out a deal for Dell 3040 mni with I5-6500T , 4GB ram for $85.
I already have too many tiny pc, so I passed.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Nextcloud is by no means targeted as a lightweight cloud solution. I ran it as a drop-box on a raspberry pi 3 and it was slightly painful. I suspect you will be much happier with a little more power than the pi 4. Something with a proper SATA hardware instead of going over USB would probably be a good choice - I don't know what is being made with the newer pi 4 compute module options.

Now, I'm running Nextcloud on a Dell Wyse 5070 with a separate partition for the cloud storage on an M.2 SATA drive and it's does well, but I'm not exploiting the power of the software.

I would look into some of the refurbished tiny machines with an eye to getting a dual SATA setup of some sort, and buy a separate UPS. You didn't specify how much storage you needed, so that may negate the advantage of the smaller form factor machine if you start to get into mechanical drives.

YurkshireLad

Dec 18, 2020
Thanks. My storage needs are probably less then 50Gb at the moment, so I could probably get away with a 250Gb drive. I looked at some refurbed machines via eBay and Amazon. I've never bought a used PC before so I'm a bit hesitant, but I'll definitely consider it.

I can get a decent price on a refurbished Lenovo M93p, and I can choose the memory, CPU and SSD size. Interesting.

Last edited: