Hardware stress testing best practices

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
Patrick,

what about an article (or really could be easily expanded to a whole series of articles) about stress testing new hardware. The obvious summary would be ServeTheHome best practices for such testing.

My short list of things that I'd personally like to know more about is below. i find google results and other forums are littered with trolls. I have a working understanding of things like Prime95, memfree, etc...but could really use an expert's guide.

* CPU testing, burn-in procedures
* Memory testing
* Hard drive testing <-- this is a biggie for me

tied to this series could be other articles covering performance benchmarking for all the above. I know you have documented your benchmarking procedures but a how-to may benefit many here.

i think this all fits in the intended material of the site. always looking forward to tomorrow's article whether you take up this suggestion or not!

-jeremy

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for the input. Really just bandwidth limited but I will add this to the list of to-dos. Are you specifically looking for stress testing or for benchmarking? I think the stress testing could be interesting. If anyone has thoughts, please let me know.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
for my personal edification, i'm looking more at stress testing. from my own internet research, it seems that performance benchmarking is more widely covered than stress testing.

example: there are HDD stress testing apps that i've come across that are commercial. I'm looking for whether those are worth the $$$ or are there free/lower-cost alternatives that are used and preferred by the professionals here.

perhaps both these topics may be better served as threads here in the forum to open it up to the community. I certainly didnt bring this up to interfere with your current STH post queue. just curious :D