Hardware recommendations for 10GbE Home/Soho

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm a newbe in the fiber-optic world. In fact, I've never installed any fiber network in my life. I have my home network completely on Cat6a but I want to have zero latency and 10GbE speeds in.

Here is my home network description (currently):
Everything is CAT6A (through the walls - pulling those cables was real pain). I have two floors big apartment and maximum cable length will not exceed 30 meters.

Downstairs (first level) - I have:
-WAN connection + a distribution panel that contains the main 1GbE 16 ports network switch
-Wireless Access point in the corridor (connected from the main network switch)
-LAN point in the kitchen (connected from the main network switch)
-PC, TV & AV area (connected from the main network switch though one cable to small 1GbE 4 ports switch then to the PC, TV & AV)

Upstairs (Second level) - I have:

-Bedroom Access point (connected from the main network switch)
-Guest room 1 - one standby keystone point (connected from the main network switch)
-Guest room 2 - I have the router which is a custom PC with Pfsense OS and a cable was pulled from downstairs distribution panel WAN connection to this Router)
- From the router, I have LAN feed to a small 1GbE 4 ports switch that feeds to the main network switch + NAS + printer)

I did a quick research on the 10GbE and I'm intending to work with less complication yet future ready network and this is my list that I came up with:
- Netgear - M4300-8X8F as main switch
- 2 Netgear - XS708T to replace the small switches that I have
- 3 Chelsio T520-CR NICs - 1 for the PC, 1 for NAS, 1 for the pfsense router
- 3 AXM761 - SFP+ Transceiver 10GBASE-SR - 1 for the PC, 1 for NAS, 1 for the pfsense router
- 1 Chelsio T520-BT NIC for the pfsense router from the WAN connection

And planning to use OM1 multimode fiber cables.

I need your help with few things:
- what is your thoughts on this setup and please remember that I have zero experience with fiber so I wish to go with less complex setup, easy to configure.
- I don't know which termination should I go with if I get this fiber cable and is this fiber cable the best for my setup?
- did I miss something?

I would appreciate your constructive feedback - many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Abdulla

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What os do you use on your pc and nas?
If you use Windows or Linux you could save some cash by using Mellanox Connect-X2 cards (< $20 on ebay) instead of the Chelsio cards.

I would get om4 fibers, they support longer distances (not that importatnt for home use) and higher bandwidth (40-100gbe)

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
What os do you use on your pc and nas?
If you use Windows or Linux you could save some cash by using Mellanox Connect-X2 cards (< $20 on ebay) instead of the Chelsio cards.

I would get om4 fibers, they support longer distances (not that importatnt for home use) and higher bandwidth (40-100gbe)
Win10 and Unraid OS for the NAS (linux based). The Chelsio cards were recommended by pfsense forums but I don't know the reason.

What about the rest of the network hardware?

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
Driver support. Freebsd <10.1 based os had no drivers for connect-x cards.

I have no experience with netgear switches, can't help you with that.
Alright but I have a question about your recommended OM4 fiber cable, will it work with my current desired hardware or should I change the transceiver?

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
Few more queries:
- I don't know which termination should I go with if I get this fiber cable? LC, FC, PC, ST, etc. - I have no idea whats the difference between those types and which should be ordered and how hard to pull a cable with the termination being on.
- Also I don't know the difference between single mode or multi mode. which one is better?
- Should I terminate it myself? what terminating tool is the best? what connectors should I get?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Use LC
SC still has some usage but use LC. FC etc are Long dead.

It's not about single mode or multi mode being better , it's depends on distance and your equipment. For inside a house you would want multimode.

No chance to terminate Fiber yourself, use pre made cables.

Reactions: uaeproz

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
If you already pulled cat6a through your walls, why not just use 10gbase-t instead of all that extra work to pull fiber in your wall? Is the extra latency in base-T a problem? Downside - the cards are more expensive & high power usage.

FWIW, I'm using base-T to go between rooms and DAC's or fiber for computers in same room as my switch.

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
Those cables were pulled several years ago. I just want to fiber optic scene and have it future ready. Now, I will run 10G but in the near future I may go up 40G.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Why not just play with it in one room before you start ripping into pulling it through walls, just so you know how it all fits together.

Personally if I already had cat6 in the walls I would just use it. If I was doing something new sure I would pull both just because it provides options.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If I was going 'new' I would pull the appropriate fiber for 40GBit+ but I'd use that Cat6/5e if laid for now :) save headache.

uaeproz

Jun 19, 2017
Alright. Which switch do you recommend me to use in this case as main switch. Also I need 2 small 4 ports switches as well.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Priority of the switches (e.g. Silent and fanless, cheap, new or used, L2 or L3) and number of 10g ports on each ?