Hardware RAID for ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend out with a new server build. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the storage for his ESXi host. I'm considering looking for a good inexpensive hardware RAID option for his ESXi server. He has an i3 that doesn't support VT-d, so that rules out software RAID or ZFS.

He was looking at purchasing 3-4 2TB Hitachi drives ($20-40) for storage and was looking for a card to go with it. He has a Supermicro board, but it only has Intel's Matrix RAID.

I came across these 2 threads
LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models
and
First Gen Lsi Sas Cards, Viable, Cheap and Reliable....Like a mature MILF...

I'm looking at this card... ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller any other suggestions? My guess is to go with either raid 0, 5, or 6 and the card should have a bbu...? I told him to make sure to have a good backup elsewhere... This is just for learning so speed/space should be the most important.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
you need a raid card with cache and bbu.
otherwise your performance will be so poor you could almost use usb memorysticks :)

I use a hp p410 here, and it works like a charm

-J

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
The ServeRAID-MR10i supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 6, 50, 60 has cache... According to the massive LSI thread. There is one in that list with a similar model number BR10i that is a HBA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

schro

Apr 9, 2013
I'm on a similar quest and pulling what's left of my hair out. I've got an Intel S2600CP board that I'm trying to make work....

From what I can tell, the 9750's are not on the HCL for ESXi 6 (nor is the 9650). I also see a multitude of issues with the HP P410 working in non-HP boards which makes it not very interesting to me (though, it is on the 6.0 U2 HCL).

Is it really this difficult to figure out? Or is my google foo that bad?

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
the p410 works perfectly on a supermicro board here.
just need to add the driver bundle and tools.
I even created the array from esxi cli, turned on the write cache etc.
full monitoring of array, drives, bbu etc in esxi as well

-J

Reactions: Zack Hehmann

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
the p410 works perfectly on a supermicro board here.
just need to add the driver bundle and tools.
I even created the array from esxi cli, turned on the write cache etc.
full monitoring of array, drives, bbu etc in esxi as well

-J

I like the P410 more than the others listed. If I remember right its the only one I was able to find a battery for that was "new" and it was a decent price for all the required hardware (bracket, card, bbu, cache, and cables).

Jannis- I would be interested in learning more about what you did to get the driver bundle and tools installed and working on ESXi, cause this is all new to me. I would be interested in full monitoring of array, drives, bbu etc in ESXi as well.

I'm interested to see what anyone else has to say.... There has to be more hardware out there that is compatible with ESXi 6.0 and is sub $100.