Hardware pron thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Well, the rads are designed to mount the 120's / 140's (depending on the rad) I guess is one reason. The 9x120mm rad will also accommodate 4x 180mm instead. The 9x140mm rad will accommodate 4x200mm instead. But yeah, the fan you linked will be cheaper, maybe half the price. No clear specs on power use or airflow however.

9x noctua 120mm's are rated for maybe 30w. 9x noctua 140mm, around 60w. Good airflow, tolerable noise levels (even at max rpm), and adequate static pressure as well. All of those being at least as important as the initial purchase price. Did consider some other fans. Delta has PDF's for everything they sell so I checked there. Looking at the delta website I couldn't find fans that seemed appropriate at less than twice the watts. So I'd certainly consider other fans, I just don't have any in mind that are overall better options.

Honestly, I'd like to use thicker fans, but again, the included mounting hardware isn't designed for that, so starting out with more standard stuff. Key words -- "starting out" =D
the SPAL fans are some of the best fans designed for automotive applications. I just randomly picked a SPAL fan, but the specs of that particular one is here:

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102048_2049_SPEC.pdf

that one should get you about 2000CFM with 13V@22A. They have many other models for varying specs.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
the SPAL fans are some of the best fans designed for automotive applications. I just randomly picked a SPAL fan, but the specs of that particular one is here:

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102048_2049_SPEC.pdf

that one should get you about 2000CFM with 13V@22A. They have many other models for varying specs.
Thanks for sending that along, will take a look. That particular model seems to offer roughly 50% more airflow than 9x 140mm noctuas, but require 4x the power to do it. Will check on some other models to see if they have something more efficient : )

For what it's worth, the "less efficient" fans are needed for high-pressure applications such as air filtration. Car radiators also likely require more static pressure than PC water cooling radiators. I look forward to testing how much benefit there is for these types of radiators -- I believe the noctuas supply sufficient static pressure for them.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30100400_SPEC.pdf

this will be a closer comparison -- max static pressure of 15mm, vs 10.5mm for the 3000rpm 140mm noctua.

9x noctua:
max airflow 2400 m^3/h at zero pressure
6.6w x 9 = 60w total
IP52 protection

$27*9 = $243 (newegg)

VA18-AP10/C-41A * 16"S/12V:
max airflow 2200 m^3/h at zero pressure
minimum power draw 7.5a @ 12v (90w)
maximum power draw 8.5a @ 12v (102w)
IP68 motor

$95 (manufacturer website)

So ballpark pretty similar. A bit better pressure, which may be desireable. Better waterproofing, which may be necessary for outdoor applications. Easier to manage 1 fan vs 9. Cheaper. Uses a bit more power (but not an unreasonable amount)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Are you seriously considering this or is my sarcasm detector broken? That fan will be loud as hell. And tuned down to a similar noise level as the Noctua fans -if that is at all possible- it will move much less air through a radiator.

Reactions: funkywizard

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Are you seriously considering this or is my sarcasm detector broken? That fan will be loud as hell. And tuned down to a similar noise level as the Noctua fans -if that is at all possible- it will move much less air through a radiator.
First, I'm hoping to cool a large number of servers with one radiator. So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Second, this is equal parts "for testing" and "screw it!" -- i.e. "why not?"

Finally, If I end up using this in production, it'll either be outdoors, or inside a datacenter. The noise won't be too relevant. The 9x noctua fans, even at maximum, will be quieter than an equivalent number of 40mm or 80mm fans inside of servers. Looking to do water cooled servers here.

Reactions: leebo_28

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
First, I'm hoping to cool a large number of servers with one radiator. So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Second, this is equal parts "for testing" and "screw it!" -- i.e. "why not?"

Finally, If I end up using this in production, it'll either be outdoors, or inside a datacenter. The noise won't be too relevant. The 9x noctua fans, even at maximum, will be quieter than an equivalent number of 40mm or 80mm fans inside of servers. Looking to do water cooled servers here.
@funkywizard do you have a thread where you share the plans for this water cooled rack of servers?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW, thanks for the suggestion. Will look at using a fan from this manufacturer for one of my prototypes.
no problem! it was just a random thought that came to mind from my days wrenching/modifying on BMWs. when i saw the photo of the radiator, i just immediately imagined a SPAL fan attached to it!

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
no problem! it was just a random thought that came to mind from my days wrenching/modifying on BMWs. when i saw the photo of the radiator, i just immediately imagined a SPAL fan attached to it!
Nice : )

I had considered using a larger fan, but had a hard time finding anything appropriate.

I've got some fun stuff to share...

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
Care to hazard an educated guess at the cost of the upgrade?

btw:dibs
The upgrades are just routine, every 3-5 years. (This isn't really my homelab, just a joke) There are a bunch of R620s available for cheap right now.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
I'm located In Asia right now. I doubt you would be interested with the shipping fees

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
Why is that.... I'm not American but I have a few connections in TX.
I'm missing something here.... could you elaborate as I'm really interested in US culture