Hardware for Gbit VPN/firewall

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Enigma86

Oct 22, 2019
Hey guys this is my first post,

I've been reading this forum and others for a while trying to figure out the cheapest way to accomplish this task. I'm in the process of setting up my home network for a few different things and have decided I want to implement a firewall directly behind my modem which will run to 4 subnets used for various tasks. Some of the things my network will include is a lot of downloading and multiple HD streams out of a media server along with remote connections from myself and a couple friends that I will be building a development environment for.

Since I know that connections to a VPN service will be limited themselves, I was looking for either a dedicated firewall device or maybe convert a server into one where I can load 4 instances of the VPN client on the firewall as well as run an OpenVPN server. That way the full bandwidth to the house on a Gig connection can still be utilized throughout the 4 subnets even if only getting 200/Mbps from each VPN connection. But that means I need hardware that can support SSL at close to 1Gbps.

I've looked at old watchguard routers and possibly getting a supermicro server with pfsense to handle the task... but I'm not really sure how much power I really need for that. Thanks!

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Mikrotik publishes ipsec benchmark for its routers.
CCR1009* and higher can handle gigabit ipsec and they are inexpensive.

MikroTik!

Enigma86

Oct 22, 2019
Hey there, thanks for the input. I guess part of my confusion with some of these devices and hardware is that they post the IPsec throughput but if you're using OpenVPN based VPN services and OpenVPN as a server at home then you're running SSL encryption which is a lot slower than IPsec correct? I appreciate that input though. I would also love to hear some other ideas or maybe things people have used already.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Yes, ipsec is usually the fastest, yet a pain to configure. Idk what openvpn bandwith you can expect on ccr1009, prob around 150 mbit.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, ipsec is usually the fastest, yet a pain to configure. Idk what openvpn bandwith you can expect on ccr1009, prob around 150 mbit.
IPsec CAN be a pain to configure but it depends on the interface. In pfsense for example it's super easy. And with their latest release that supports routed IPsec it's even better.

OP, I get 1Gbps IPsec on a Site-to-Site VPN connection I have between two C2758 Pfsense boxes, if that helps at all.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Prefer the embedded Ryzen R1000 and embedded EPYC 3000 for 1G and 10G firewalls.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
There is nothing in this tasks that requires or favors AMD.
There are a plenty good value intel solutions. And the market is more liquid for used intel equipment than AMD.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
There is nothing in this tasks that requires or favors AMD.
There are a plenty good value intel solutions. And the market is more liquid for used intel equipment than AMD.
ECC and price.. if you know of a <$200 intel solution with ECC under 15W please share!

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
There is no requirement for ECC, nor there are SOHO routers with ECC.

Check your pricing for epyc 3000 again, there are no offers for 200. CPU+Mobo are around $500

i3-9100f+ASRock B365M-HDV is 90+65.

This intel/amd discussions is steering off the topic.