Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Not 2022 from what I recall, but our first and only hp 8500fn1 that we purchased new had the right adf hinge explode while I was trying to diagnose why the adf was constantly jamming. I can't figure out what it was, but something was binding that was causing the adf issue and obviously a lot of stress on the plastics that held the spring tension. The adf problem isn't as bad now, but it's harder to use now with that damaged hinge.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
Just got eUSB failed on my SRX, lol. Took me a while to figure out hot to re-install on external USB. My backup config wasn't up to date, now have to reconfigure it again. lol.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Not recent, but was pretty spectacular.
I was moving systems from a local server room to a campus data center. There were several rack servers, disk enclosures, and one desktop PC sitting on a shelf. The move was split into several stages, to move the groups of servers configured as clusters together and minimize downtime.
The move was rather uneventful: remove the boxes from the old rack, install in the new one, connect power and network and reconfigure IPs on public interfaces, and move on to the next batch.
The PC was moved as the last machine. When everything was almost ready, I plugged in the power cable into the PDU... only to be greeted with a loud bang, bright flash, and a cloud of smoke shooting out of the power supply.

It turned out that the PDUs in the new rack were connected to 208V power rails, and nobody bothered mentioning it to me. The old rack had the "plain old" 120V, and the desktop PC was one only machine which had a manual switch selecting line voltage.
To my surprise, nobody came to see what was going on. Was it so common there, that they got used to the sound of exploding caps in power supplies?

• Wow
Reactions: ColdCanuck and edge

Hahaburger

Aug 26, 2022
I had this event today.

I was testing my recent R730 purchase. After the CPU stress test, I started searching for SSDs to test the backplane. Suddenly, I heard an explosion. I quickly made my way to the server, but everything was still running(although the server had only one PSU plugged) and there was a smell. I turned the server off and smelled the PSU, and yes, the smell was coming from there.

RIP 1100W PSU. I wonder if I can simply replace this X2 capacitor and continue running :)

Attachments