Hard drive testing software

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Live Linux cd + badblocks -wsv /dev/sdX+ smartmontools (to check values before and after). Free and easy to perform on many disks at once via tmux.
Concur, badblocks here in a loop (sort out devices/range first of course)...GNU screen can be helpful as well (very similar to tmux).

'for i in /dev/sd{b..i}; do badblocks -wsv $i; done'

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
so badblocks -vws /dev/sdc shows

(60/0/0)

as the output. What do the three numbers mean? Secondly, all modern drives have bad sector remapping right? Is there a way to tell which sectors have been remapped? Smartctl says the drive as healthy despite these bad sectors. Is this drive still okay to use?

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee

(60/0/0)

as the output. What do the three numbers mean? Secondly, all modern drives have bad sector remapping right? Is there a way to tell which sectors have been remapped? Smartctl says the drive as healthy despite these bad sectors. Is this drive still okay to use?
The meaning of 0/0/527405 errors is <number of read errors>/<number of write errors>/<number of corruption errors>

badblocks - ArchWiki

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA

(60/0/0)

What is the actual output of smartctl -a /dev/sdc? I never look at the PASS rating of SMART as definitely saying a drive is good (unless it says FAILED, then it's failed). Evaluating the raw values is really the proper way to do this.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
What is the actual output of smartctl -a /dev/sdc? I never look at the PASS rating of SMART as definitely saying a drive is good (unless it says FAILED, then it's failed). Evaluating the raw values is really the proper way to do this.
I'll check when I get home later. But this morning I saw a message from Badblocks about how the drive should be replaced. :'(

Oh well, it's an old 1 TB well beyond its rated lifetime, but I have another one that I bought at the same time that is still going strong.

I'll see if I can remap those unreadable sectors to something else. I would still like to use this drive in a mirror array, maybe for scratch data.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
UnRAID has a script called preclear.sh . It may be adapted to other systems but I've only used it with my UnRAID setup.

"A utility to "burn-in" a new disk, before adding it to your array has been requested several times. Also requested is a process to "pre-clear" a hard disk before adding it to your array. When a special "signature" is detected, the lengthy "clearing" step otherwise performed by unRAID is skipped."

Read more here:
preclear_disk.sh - a new utility to burn-in and pre-clear disks for quick add

I've used this on over 100+ drives and I've found drives that fail to be cleared will go or are unsuitable to use in my arrays. I live and breathe by this program as it's saved me from several bad disks before I even got started.

Diavuno

Just an idea here - I wonder if we could take some of these and make little resources/ guides for them in the forums: Resources | ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz Forums I have started putting tidbits there (e.g. default passwords) as I have run into them.
A guide on how to test things would be good.

especially if it was comprehensive enough to cover Windows/Linux/Mac/live boot (usb or optic disk)

Reactions: maze and dawsonkm