hard drive spin down using HBA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Is there a way to tell windows server r2 to spin down a hard drive if there is inactivity while the HDD is connected to a 9220i in IT mode?

It seems to work if it is connected directly to the internal sata ports, but obviously I want to use the HBA.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
For reasons unknown, LSI removed spindown from their StorPort driver after about P.16 (actually - its still in the driver, they just removed the registry settings required to make it work).

You can re-enable it. Instructions here:

Does t-raid have built in HDD spin down commands?

For Server 2012 R2 you'll have to disable driver signing when you install the modified .inf file. I've done this with 9211's, should work on your 9220. Also, remember to disable the indexing service or it will spin up your drives every hour or so, which kinda defeats the purpose :)

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
For reasons unknown, LSI removed spindown from their StorPort driver after about P.16 (actually - its still in the driver, they just removed the registry settings required to make it work).

For Server 2012 R2 you'll have to disable driver signing when you install the modified .inf file. I've done this with 9211's, should work on your 9220. Also, remember to disable the indexing service or it will spin up your drives every hour or so, which kinda defeats the purpose :)
Thanks!

Been checking out storage spaces. Seems like they don't allow SSD caching with parity drives. That kind of defeats the purpose of having ssd caching. I might not be sticking with Windows Server. :(

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Storage spaces will not permit spindown. Even if you follow the instructions above it will only work for non-SS volumes.

While once very excited about it I've now pretty much completely abandoned SS. I've gone back to ZoL for any kind of "performance' storage and use Stablebit Drivepool on the Server 2012 R2 system for cold or nearly-cold storage with simple replication for higher-value data. And I'm probably decommissioning that within the next 6 months.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Storage spaces will not permit spindown. Even if you follow the instructions above it will only work for non-SS volumes.

While once very excited about it I've now pretty much completely abandoned SS. I've gone back to ZoL for any kind of "performance' storage and use Stablebit Drivepool on the Server 2012 R2 system for cold or nearly-cold storage with simple replication for higher-value data. And I'm probably decommissioning that within the next 6 months.
Seems like SS isn't what I want. Just curious, what are you moving to?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I use ZoL on CentOS, works pretty well. Not sure if hotspare functionality works, not in the mood to yank a drive. I think that is lacking. Also I have had issues with dkms and rebuilding for new kernels when I do CentOS updates, requiring that I remove and reads the modules for it to rebuild. Not fun but easy when you know what happened.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Just FYI, I tried the instructions above (Sorry, I just repeated the quote with the link in the prior post by accident) modifying somewhat(I did not want to reload the drivers) making registry entries instead of adjusting the .inf file and reloading the driver. I rebooted the server and the drives spun down after the indicated time in power management!

I verified this by accessing the the SS volume (heard the drives spin up, plus a bit of a pause) while watching a Kill A Watt meter I had attached when I recycled the server go from 100 watts idle, to 165 watts when all the drives spun up (16 drives). I repeated a couple of times just to make sure.

So, at least on my machine drive spin down seems to be working (given the right registry entries)with SS and the HBAs I have. My motherboard is a Suermicro X10SRH-CLN4F and I am using both the on-board 3008 HBA and an LSI SAS 9201 HBA on the same board, both spin down the drives with SS under Windows Server 2012 R2.

However, your mileage may vary :)

Reactions: PigLover

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Hi Chris,

I currently have one pool set up with 16 disks in a mirrored pool (RAID 1 equivalent). Most of the disks are SAMSUNG HD103SJ, with a few WDC WD10EADS-00L. They are all SATA2 drives as my intention is drive consolidation from machines I have had over the years, and drives I have collected (through upgrades, a prior NAS, ...) basically just hanging around worth nothing now but useful if I could aggregate them seeing them more as cold (warmish) storage, speed not as much of an issue. Hence, my interest in spinning the drives down.

The pool above is running off the LSI (bought before LSI was purchased) 9201 HBA with the most recent firmware and drivers.

Also, I had a second pool created until a few days ago running several mixed drives, all WD, two were old 750gb another is a more recent 2gb (sorry, don't have the model numbers at my finger tips), that pool was created with parity(RAID 5 equiv). The aforementioned drives were running under off 3008 HBA from the motherboard. Since, I have removed these drives and the second pool but conducted my tests before doing so to insure no issues regarding spin down.

I am in the process of doing some reconfiguration so I can let you know if I run into any more issues.

In fact, I have two issues at the moment...

First is I would like to place the machine in a lower power state as it will be idle most of the time. Currently I am running Hyper-v on the machine that suggests I can't that suggests I can't use any lower power states. However, I did find an article suggesting this could be done (Sleep and hibernation is working on Server 2012 with started hypervisor! I do not know why...), but it looks like he is running on a laptop which may be one of the reasons I' can't get it going. I need to keep testing.

The second is I can no longer get my i350 nics to work on this board(it has 4). I tried resetting the bios, reinstall drivers, ... and the nics try to connect but can't. They say they are enabled, and clearly try to connect to the network but but nothing. I even tried changing cables and different ports on the switch, nada. My guess is I did something in bios as I needed to make a change. If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it. At the moment I don't "need" them having another nic, but it is just annoying.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Robert

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Hi Robert

Could you please explain or create a short guide on how you managed to get disks to spin down under Hyper-V. I have tried many things and nothing seems to work.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Under MS Storage Spaces with the proper entries in the registry using the LSI HBAs I am using the drives will spin down. However, when putting Hyper-V on top things go south in my experience.

My use case is drive consolidation using the machine more or less as a NAS and iSCSI target for other machines in the house, and yes, as a Hyper-V backup (or as a limited VM roll that I can spin up and down) in the event another machine(s) have issues. Like you I have not gotten the drives to spin down when running VM(s) on the same machine as Storage Spaces, but I have not put much time in as I am willing to live with it considering the use case.

I am greatly sorry if I mislead you as I was addressing the issue of Storage Spaces spinning down, not the case of VMs on top, so sorry if I misunderstood!

Robert

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Hi Robert

Thanks for explaining. I missed that you were using 2012R2 and not Hyper-V Server.