HALP !!! Think I borked my Server 2008 R2 install

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I tried to install Hyper V and something went wrong. The computer hung and then rebooted. Now, every time it starts, Server Manager tries to pick up where it left off. It does this whether I open it or not. Same result, computer hangs and then reboots, rinse and repeat. How can I stop Server Manager from picking up where it left off and how can I undo the Hyper V install. I started in safe mode and disabled all Hyper V services but no joy. :(

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Last Known Good configuration should be fine, since the server doesn't boot all the way up again.

You've tried this and it doesn't work?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It does boot all the way up but shortly thereafter is when it freezes and reboots. I can get into safe mode but don't know how to cancel the Hyper V install.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I'm not 100% sure on this, so ymmv. Start up, hit F8 and get to a command line/ prompt. Type in
servermanagercmd -remove hyper-v

You will need to restart after it has removed the role.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thank you sir. But now I'm in a catch 22. The command prompt you get with F8 is a safemode command prompt and server manage is dead in safe mode. :(

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I think it can also be removed using Dism.

I'm not 100% sure of the syntax, but it's something like dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients

If that doesn't work, you might need to point it to an image rather than using /online, something like dism /image path\ /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
the dism command didn't work. Got a cryptic error message. Decided to nuke it and load 2012 R2 like I should have done to begin with.

Reactions: andrewbedia