half profile bracket on Adaptec 1000-8i HBA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I bought a couple of Adaptec 1000-8i HBAs that came with full/standard profile brackets. the screw spacing is the standard 54mm and I have some half height brackets from LSI cards. The 1000-8i's full profile that came with it have a horizontal bracket that goes the length of the card and 1 of the PCI bracket screws is secured into the end of this bracket. Not sure what the bracket is for, perhaps to strengthen the card and reduce flex? Anyway, because of this, the tabs of the PCI bracket are actually on the "front side" (side with heatsink) instead of the usual "back side".

For me to attach the half height PCI brackets I have, I would have to attach it to be backside, and consequently removing the long horizontal support bracket. Is this okay? How important is the long horizontal bracket? Does the Adaptec half height bracket attach in similar fashion to the LSI bracket I have? Or, does it attach to the "front side" like the full height bracket?