Hackintosh on a c602 based workstation (or similar)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Although this might be more suited for hackintoshing boards, i'm just curious if anyone here either shares this interest or knows off of the shelf examples or has any relevant advice to the topic...

I want to hackintosh a sandy bridge or ivy bridge era workstation board - i'm pretty sure this has been done before (I remember reading of one or two), tho builds are rare, so i'm pretty sure the chipset is supportable - the question is more about everything else on the workstation whether any of it is supportable or not.

My guess is this is largely unknown territory and nobody will know anything and that's okay. :) That i'll have to trailblaze myself buying a few different workstations and experimenting, so it's just a shot in the dark to see if any time can be saved... else i'm probably wanting to start with an HP Z420/Z620/Z820 range when I find one and see what happens. I'm assuming those era Xeons and ECC ram are still cheaper than anything and nothing else really comes close. (cuz newer stuff uses far less cheap DDR4 RAM isnt it?)

One goal is 'threadripper on a budget' - alot of cores for ProTools specifically to keep latency down and be able to run alot of plugins. (I have to build about 5-7 workstations for different purposes over the next year so you'll see alot of semi overlapping questions)

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
My understanding is Apple have dropped support for the trashcan/imac and macbooks with pre Haswell CPUs. You wont be able to use it natively with Ventura and even patchers might not help according to some reports.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
To op: How comfortable are you writing your own EFI bios? I found a few discussions and some very alpha-level work on it. Here are a few links I've found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/o0c6os
to: @Vit K - Ventura aside, why not just run Monterey even if it doesn't get any updates (yes, I know it's not ideal for security, but pro-tools COULD be without the internet?)

Reactions: Twice_Shy
Monterey isn't out of the question so far, certainly to start, i'm aware this is no longer the newest hardware and i'm new to hackintoshing but i'm most interested in hackintoshing on workstation class hardware. I'm just facing the problems of most AV stuff runs on both PC and Mac but not all - i'd love a dual boot machine to solve the problems - and i'm trying to play around with old DDR3 ECC era machines because of how cheap they are to load up with 64-128gigs of RAM potentially. My bottleneck is RAM more than CPU speed I mean. If that works i'll try something newer next.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
There is "third party software" that allows to create mac vms in esxi/workstation

I wasnt sure if virtualization would work properly with protools is all, ive heard latency issues can be a real bear with that program.. i'm all for trying that too though. Whats the third party software, or is it one of the things in the grey?

Also to the previous on writing EFI Bios, i'm not even sure what that would entail... like I don't even know what that means, is it a text config file or do you mean computer code?? Though that link also made me aware of something I wasn't before/a chinese maker of 'retro' x79 boards and such seeming to use those xeon cpu's and ram, so double up likes for that useful link. :)