Hacking C1100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Thought about posting in the DIY Server builds but it just didn't feel right...

Originally I bought a C1100 with dual L5639's and 72GB of RAM to colo and use it for some development testing, etc... After getting it 99% configured and ready to ship I found a good RTO and colo on a similar system (only 16MB RAM but it was close enough for the remote development testing I wanted to do).

Now I have a nice full size 1U server sitting in my floor. Under normal load, sound levels are low enough that it doesn't stand out from the rest of the noise on my desk (server in Antec 1200 case, desktop in Antec 600 case, a really noisy laptop)

I've thought about hanging it on the wall in my closet but I'm not sure it will get enough air there (door to the attic is in the closet and it routinely gets into the 90's there in the summer.

Thought about tucking it behind my desk but there is too much animal fur, carpet fuzz, etc.

Now I'm toying with pulling it apart and putting it into a spare Antec 300 case I have.

End use for this system is going to be virutalization, probably ESXi 5.5. I have another server (E3-1220, 16GB RAM, ESXi 5.1) that is starting to run out of CPU and has been out of memory for a while. The primary VM on this system is unRaid, two M1015's passed thorough with no issues, the secondary VM is WHS 2011, I use it to handle backups that are written to the unRaid VM. I have various and sundry other VMs doing other things (seperate VM for Plex, indexing, etc).

----> real question here:
What problems should I be aware of when pulling a C1100 board out and putting it into a desktop case with desktop power supply?

I know the basics (custom mounting of the motherboard, no IO shield, etc) and the board has standard SATA II connections

The power supply in the 1U case is 450W, I'll be using an Antec GreenPower 650W PSU.

Might it be smart to pop the cover off, install proper CPU coolers and put it in the closet anyway?

chune

Oct 28, 2013
the board is a standard intel EATX, most mounting holes lined up for me. Then again this was in a T7500 case =P.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
there was a guy on overclock.net attempting this

[Build Log] Dell C1100 Case Swap - Page 7
That is crazy. For the price, you could just get a system that works and is quiet. LGA1366 supports only previous generation architecture hex cores, lower speed DDR3, PCIe 2.o only, SATA2 only and etc. The second you have to buy heatsinks/ fans you end up worse off than just buying a workstation in the first place.

flecom

Oct 28, 2014
meh, I am running dual quad 1366's on my desktop and they are just fine, using a supermicro blade mobo, just sitting behind my monitors, using a pair of H50's so it's basically silent... only put like $300 into the whole build after recycling old stuff laying around... it does everything I need it to

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
meh, I am running dual quad 1366's on my desktop and they are just fine, using a supermicro blade mobo, just sitting behind my monitors, using a pair of H50's so it's basically silent... only put like $300 into the whole build after recycling old stuff laying around... it does everything I need it to
That makes sense. But if you are buying a C1100 to then turn into a desktop, it can get quite expensive.

flecom

Oct 28, 2014
ya for sure, but honestly, not everything I do makes sense, like having a colocated media server lol