Hack: Corsair A50 Cooler Socket 2011 Narrow ILM Mounting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Hi all,

Working on my next build and was about to get a nice Supermicro X9DRD-7ln4f, my top choice was actually Gigabyte GA-7PESH2, as it ticks all the main features I wanted:
  • Dual socket, standard EATX form factor
  • Square ILM heatsink mount
  • 16 RAM slots
  • full compliment of PCIe from single CPU
  • Dual 10gbe + onboard LSI 2008 SAS 2.0 controller
What's interesting is when you put those top 3 requirements together, there's a very feature boards that can accommodate. Most either sacriface RAM slots for Square ILM space or has RAM slots but has to use Narrow ILM cooler mount.
Moving to socket 2011, it appears cooler mounting for consumer vs. server boards have finally consolidated, at least if you have square ILM vs. what we had with the 1366 generation (see my adventure on that topic here https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...rmarket-heatsink-selection-installation.5003/). I've done a good bit of research before the purchase, and have read the STH article several times (https://www.servethehome.com/narrow-ilm-square-ilm-lga2011-heatsink-differences/) but it seems the Supermicro 4U was the only good <$50 cooler designed to accommodate both.
I have several good coolers left over from various other builds and wanted to reuse as much as I can, after sizing things up I decided to go with the Corsair A50.
corsair a50.jpg

It does not even support Socket 2011 at all, but the base has those 2 little "ledges" which would be a good candidate for a mounting bracket. After eyeballing the spacing would allow for 2 "strips" of bracing to fix the cooler in place, I went to Home Depot :) and got a piece of "U" shaped aluminum strip (strength against bending in middle) and M4 bolts (this is the size for Socket 2011, had some trial and error here).
I cut out 2x 105mm sections, Narrow ILM is 56mm x 94mm, these are mounted longitudinally so 94mm is the hole spacing here and cut out a small piece at the end for the bolts to fit and voila, nice and snug. Bolt length ended up being 20mm was a perfect as well (I got everything from 15-30mm).
Trial Fit:
20180706_214342.jpg
Both brackets on:
20180706_214401.jpg
Closer from other side:
20180706_214414.jpg
Fully up and running :)
20180706_214739.jpg

Honestly the Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 would've been the perfect fit and it was in my Amazon shopping cart Primed to go, but I'm very happy with this result as well and give an old cooler another chance at work.

Hope this helps someone down the road with some ideas :)