HA Error

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Rand__, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So after upgrading one of my boxes (new CPUs, latest Bios, new Housing) I experienced an issue with HA on my ESX box:

upload_2019-2-10_21-3-50.png

I tried for ages to find a reason yesterday, and today tried reinstalling - no avail.
    I used a host profile to reconfigure dvswitch and everything, so maybe that also encompassed the reason for the HA issue, but I have found no way to fix this :(

Any ideas before I remove the customizations and then start recreating everything from scratch?

2. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So disconnecting *and* removing from inventory helped with that particular error, but of course thats only a trade for another one...

upload_2019-2-10_23-42-23.png

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Turns out that a host profile does *not* actually create the vm kernel modules on the target host just add its to the switch and *pretends* it did the heavy lifting.

Manually created all my vmk's again (since you still can't do that from cli for a dvswitch afaik)... and now we are again at:

upload_2019-2-11_0-24-13.png

So much fun ...

4. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Ok, rebuilt the box from scratch now, as soon as I add it to the cluster - same HA error again...

Makes me start to think there is something wrong with the installation drive (32GB SATA DOM)... will switch to a regular SSD...

5. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Nope, same issue.
    So the only thing left that I can think of is downgrading the bios again... else I am lost :(

6. Dawg10

Dawg10 Associate

7. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks:)
    If it only were so easy;)

ls /var/run/log/fdm-installer.log
    ls: /var/run/log/fdm-installer.log: No such file or directory

Edit1
    But thanks, your KB linked to this (outdated) KB VMware Knowledge Base which describes copying from Windows vcenter (which I dont have).
    But then I looked at my VCSA and found I can't see the vib there at all... so maybe its not the box but the current vcenter appliance patch level...
    This box is the first/only I added to the cluster with the latest release so that might be it ... makes way more sense than a bios issue ...

Edit2:

So and this greets me when I log in to vcenter mgmt:
    upload_2019-2-12_8-35-25.png

Incomplete installation might explain a bit;)
    Very weird that all else was working fine, have not noticed that in days with
    upload_2019-2-12_8-38-37.png

Edit3
    Nope. Failed over to second box, looks good there (in admin gui), still same HA issue, still file missing on cli (vcsa)

Just FYI, thats VCSA 6.7.0.21000

Edit4:
    If I move out of the cluster, run Reconfigure for HA outside it works just fine.
    Then I move back into the cluster - broken again
    Also dvSwitch acting up, sometimes entries are missing, but exist on recreate... weird s**t

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:41 AM
  8. Dawg10

Dawg10 Associate

Yeah; I didn't think the link would be the answer, but it might get you thinking about a vib or VCSA version mismatch holding you out. Tough to offer direct help when you're only an apprentice...

9. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

No worries, really appreciate it.
    Gave up for now, began to believe its a bug.
    Will need to add another box to the cluster to verify that though.

10. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Second box has the same issue - so either its a bug or my VCSA has an issue...

Can anyone confirm its working with their VCSA ( & HA Cluster) at 6.7.0.21000?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 5:57 AM