H730 mini RAID 10 online expansion...anyone successfully done this?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
So I have a new R730xd with 15 x 1.6TB SSD's and a H730 mini PERC card and Im planning on running RAID10 for my array but before I committed I wanted to be sure that I am able to perform an expansion of the array without having to fully reset the entire configuration (and there-by requiring me to redo the entire server install/setup).

Reviewing THIS url I can see that in the newer firmware versions online expansion is possible for RAID 10 but when I went in to test it out (created a simple 4 disk RAID 10 array) by adding some disks, it failed. I'm looking to get a hold of Dell Support today but wanted to throw it out to the community as ya'll have been so helpful and speedy in the past!

So any help is greatly appreciated!

note Im on firmware package 25.5.x and online expansion was added to the H730s in package 25.3.x.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I have the same setup and firmware version 25.4.0.0017 and it is not possible.
online expansion is not supported but I will try to update to 25.5.x later on.
would be nice if it supported. have to be careful though , my setup is Production cluster.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
Does it give you the 'reconfigure' option and when you go through the process of selecting the drives and then 'applying' the change, is that when it fails? Or does it not even give you the reconfigure option?

The weird thing is it seems per the link one user was indeed able to do it but I definitely cant figure out if its supported (despite the manual saying it IS supported but perhaps there are some very stringent scenarios that allow it).

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Does it give you the 'reconfigure' option and when you go through the process of selecting the drives and then 'applying' the change, is that when it fails? Or does it not even give you the reconfigure option?

The weird thing is it seems per the link one user was indeed able to do it but I definitely cant figure out if its supported (despite the manual saying it IS supported but perhaps there are some very stringent scenarios that allow it).
in my case I do not even get the option.
I guess I need to updater my firmware to 25.5.x to even see if it supported, but my servers are live production systems, soit will not be easy.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
So this past Friday I successfully did a migration from a 4 did area and added 4 more disks. There might be a requirement to add 4 disks at a time or multiples of 4 but either way, I've at least gotten past the first hurdle