H240 in dell proliant dl380p g8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

obi

Mar 31, 2023
I recently bought a dl380p g8 and wanted to use my 8x4TB seagate sas(Constellation ES.3) drives to create a nice NAS which also runs things like jellyfin and homeAssistant.

It has the p420i raid controller on board so i connected the drives and went in the ssa and wanted to create a raid volume but no drives showed up. Then i connected 4x 300Gb sas drives and it worked, next i tried 3Tb sata drives and they worked.

Then i bought H240 and put it in HBA mode on my PC. I connected the 4TB Seagate drives and Windows could't initialize them because of an unknown IO error.

Im using OMV6 as an OS on the dl380p

Does anyone know what cold be wrong?
I would be thankful if anyone can help

Don't mind the terrible install i Will fix that once i get it working but i have swaped around quite a few parts that's why it looks so messy.

I'm sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker.

r/homelab - Can Anyone Help with my nas problem
Bottom connector is the integrated p420i top one is the H240

r/homelab - Can Anyone Help with my nas problem

Last edited:

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
I think its about driver problem, please try on Windows Server OS and install HPE Smart Storage Administrator and both of Controller will show on web based like Intelligent Provisioning menu on Bios (F10), maybe its can helped...

obi

Mar 31, 2023
The problem was that the HDD had 520byte logical sectors the HBA card can only detect 512byte logical sectors. Thanks for the Ideas