H12SSL-NT quirks - toasty LAN SoC + no Redfish access

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I recently got a H12SSL-NT with the dual 10GbE LAN provided by Broadcom BCM57416. What I've noticed is that even when the motherboard power is OFF, the LAN heatsink is a toasty 65C ~ 68C. The motherboard is now in an Antec P10 Flux case and with a couple of fans, the temps go down to 54C but this of course is only when the power is set to ON. Since this is a homelab that I do not intend to keep running 24/7 - I am worried about the LAN SoC heating up when the board is powered off. Again, I can switch the machine off from the mains, but that defeats the purpose of IPMI and remote power management.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a way to put the LAN SoC in a low power state or turn it off unless the entire board is powered up?

BTW - are both the Supermicro Remote BIOS update as well as the HTML5 Mount Virtual features enabled by the Supermicro Out of Band (OOB) Software License Key (SFT-OOB-LIC) ? Someone I spoke to said that the latter feature actually needed the Supermicro DataCenter Management Suite License Key (SFT-DCMS-SINGLE). This license is like 6x - 8x the cost of the OOB license :eek: would be sad if this was the case. If so, Tyan& AsRockRack win hands down when it comes to providing such feature functionality for homelab enthusiasts ...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
BTW - are both the Supermicro Remote BIOS update as well as the HTML5 Mount Virtual features enabled by the Supermicro Out of Band (OOB) Software License Key (SFT-OOB-LIC) ?
don't know, but you can make your own OOB, read this.

Is there a way to put the LAN SoC in a low power state or turn it off unless the entire board is powered up?
maybe you have to disable the WAKE on LAN feature (BIOS / OS)

Reactions: hmw

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I don't think that link works for the newer H12xxx licensing. This is what the new UI looks like
1643057343417.png

and there's no way to put a license key - it needs a license file instead. Tried generating a license key and uploading it as text but UI complains about 'invalid format'

maybe you have to disable the WAKE on LAN feature (BIOS / OS)
Wake On Lan was off for BIOS Pre-Boot - do I need to do anything else?

1643057261866.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Wake On Lan was off for BIOS Pre-Boot - do I need to do anything else?
yes, in the OS. normaly you have to enable WoL after the OS install to get the NIC powered by Standby power. maybe yours is WoL by default. check the NIC settings in the device manager, or in the NIC software if installed.
I don't think that link works for the newer H12xxx licensing.
sorry, yes X12/H12 don't need OOB for BIOS updates.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
I recently got a H12SSL-NT with the dual 10GbE LAN provided by Broadcom BCM57416. What I've noticed is that even when the motherboard power is OFF, the LAN heatsink is a toasty 65C ~ 68C. The motherboard is now in an Antec P10 Flux case and with a couple of fans, the temps go down to 54C but this of course is only when the power is set to ON. Since this is a homelab that I do not intend to keep running 24/7 - I am worried about the LAN SoC heating up when the board is powered off. Again, I can switch the machine off from the mains, but that defeats the purpose of IPMI and remote power management.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a way to put the LAN SoC in a low power state or turn it off unless the entire board is powered up?

BTW - are both the Supermicro Remote BIOS update as well as the HTML5 Mount Virtual features enabled by the Supermicro Out of Band (OOB) Software License Key (SFT-OOB-LIC) ? Someone I spoke to said that the latter feature actually needed the Supermicro DataCenter Management Suite License Key (SFT-DCMS-SINGLE). This license is like 6x - 8x the cost of the OOB license :eek: would be sad if this was the case. If so, Tyan& AsRockRack win hands down when it comes to providing such feature functionality for homelab enthusiasts ...
For remote BIOS management on H12SSL, you will need a OOB or DCMS license key. If you run a SUM command without that, you will get an error like this:

********************************<<<<<ERROR>>>>>*********************************

ExitCode = 80
Description = Node product key is not activated.
Program Error Code = 409.16
Error message:
One of the node product key (SFT-OOB-LIC or SFT-DCMS-SINGLE) should be
activated to execute this task.
SFT-DCMS-SINGLE node product key is not activated.
SFT-OOB-LIC node product key is not activated.

As other STH memeber already mentioned, you don't need OOB or DCMS license for BMC/BIOS updates via the web interface

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
some boards have a jumper for this, but unfortunaly the h12ssl not.
@hmw you should open a case at supermicro and ask for this issue ( it is a big problem )

joet

May 27, 2018

On my H12SSL-NT, the fans run when the system is powered down - which gives my system a 25W draw when only the BMC is active! Which fan connectors did you use if your fans are not running when the BMC has power?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
On my H12SSL-NT, the fans run when the system is powered down - which gives my system a 25W draw when only the BMC is active! Which fan connectors did you use if your fans are not running when the BMC has power?
25W ! :eek: I get 18W and I thought that was crazy. Well in CA we pay an effective rate of $0.32/kWh so it's good to try to reduce electricity consumption wherever possible

I am using FAN2. All the other fans are connected to the P10's built in FAN controller. Which fan connector are you using ?

joet

May 27, 2018
25W ! :eek: I get 18W and I thought that was crazy. Well in CA we pay an effective rate of $0.32/kWh so it's good to try to reduce electricity consumption wherever possible

I am using FAN2. All the other fans are connected to the P10's built in FAN controller. Which fan connector are you using ?
The Supermicro case (CSE-747) I'm using has 6 80/92mm turbo-nutter fans, which ramp up to 7.5K rpm on startup, hitting 72dB, so I tend to leave it running! I'm using pretty much all the onboard fan connectors, I think the ones that blow across the NIC are FANA/FANB but I'm pretty sure the others are also running at ~10% when only the BMC is active.

My power costs have gone from £0.12/$0.16/kWh to £0.22/$0.30 in the last 3 months, so I feel your pain!

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
On my H12SSL-NT, the fans run when the system is powered down
I believe you but Fans running while the System is Off poses a weird and iffy scenario.
Because Fans run on 12V and you only have 12V available in two cases.
The PSU is told to power the system which makes the system technically powered ON fully.
Or when you have a PSU that only supplies 12V, even as a Standby (always on) voltage.

Had a Giglebyte MD80 that did the first case.
That isn't really an issue but it makes the question about the Nics being powered and getting hot, harder to answer or fix.
Because if you suspect Wake On Lan to be the issue but the Platform is already powered it might already count as awake.
Looking into WOL would then likely be red herring.

Answers would need to come from the OEM or experience with such Boards.

joet

May 27, 2018
Hmm, actually I stand corrected. When I shut it down, the fans seem to ramp up and then slowly spin down just as the machine shuts down. However on closer inspection, after 10s the only fans running are the ones in the PSUs.

My IR thermometer shows the NIC heatsink to be at approx 60C - I'll measure it again in the morning but I would guess that H/S can dissipate a few W even in still air.

Reactions: RedX1 and RageBone

joet

May 27, 2018
So the NIC heatsink measured about 65C at its hottest spot this morning after 7h with no airflow at all. To me, this seems a little warm, but OK.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So the NIC heatsink measured about 65C at its hottest spot this morning after 7h with no airflow at all. To me, this seems a little warm, but OK.
The Intel X550 disables internaly at 55C.
what happens after AC power left with only +5V standby power ? the PSU FANs should not run like a ATX PSU thought.

joet

May 27, 2018
The Intel X550 disables internaly at 55C.
what happens after AC power left with only +5V standby power ? the PSU FANs should not run like a ATX PSU thought.
This board uses the Broadcom BCM57416 but TBH 55C is really no big deal for most semiconductors - are you sure about the X550?

With AC power / only +5v standby, the NIC lights are pulsing both on the connector and the front panel of the chassis. Not sure how much of the NIC needs to be awake for that to happen.

The SuperMicro SC747 chassis I'm using has dual 2kW 1U PSU's - and yes, the PSU fans run as soon as AC power is connected.