H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
Hi All!

A green hand here. I bought an OEM H12SSL-I to set up my first server. It was working fine until some meddling with the bios. Result? It cannot boot up and stays at "bmc initiating" forever! Now, I can't enter bios or ipmi console no matter how I tried. Any advise to make it work again?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
OEM Board?
What does medling with the BIOS mean? Playing with settings or modifying IT with external Tool?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Could it be caused by changing several PCIE devices without switching off the machine?
You mean like plug and play? :D
I wouldn't do that. Even when pcie as a standard supports some sort of it most devices, their drivers, os and the mainboards can't handle it...

Reactions: Sogndal94

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Not stupid as that, just switching pcie cards after shutting down OS but not PSU.
Usually not, I do it all the time. But maybe if you haven't taken ESD precautions...

Have you tried booting the board on a table to make sure there are not standoffs at wrong positions causing short circuits?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
indeed, try a cmos reset.
Also, it is very very weird that you can't access the ipmi, has that always been the case?

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
indeed, try a cmos reset.
Also, it is very very weird that you can't access the ipmi, has that always been the case?
I had done exactly as RolloZ170 suggested but to no avail. Some googling let me know that BMC initiates before bios. Really, the issue is BMC not bios.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Some googling let me know that BMC initiates before bios. Really, the issue is BMC not bios.
you switch the PSU on and wait for the BMC heartbeat LED to flash, then press the power button.
if you start the system to early the BIOS waits for the BMC to initialize...
The BIOS want to give the BMC some data, if not responding nothing happens then.
Do you had access to the IPMI WebGui before your manipulations ?

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
No IPMI ip settings are done and I had never accessed the webgui. One strange thing: once I plugged in the power cord and turned on the psu, the cpu fan spun at highspeed immediately. When the server functioned properly, I needed to push the power button to turn on the machine. Any implications?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
No IPMI ip settings are done and I had never accessed the webgui. One strange thing: once I plugged in the power cord and turned on the psu, the cpu fan spun at highspeed immediately. When the server functioned properly, I needed to push the power button to turn on the machine. Any implications?
do you even have a BMC Heartbeat?
If not, well, something is seriously wrong.
Hopefully just FW

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
do you even have a BMC Heartbeat?
If not, well, something is seriously wrong.
Hopefully just FW
It beated crazily and that was why I knew it was stuck at "bmc initiating". I know a BMC reflesh should solve the problem but the problem is that I have no access to the console. Any ideas?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I know a BMC reflesh should solve the problem but the problem is that I have no access to the console. Any ideas?
USB programmer like ch341a. or buy a preprogrammed chip, and replace the BMC chip.
you need no special equipm.cut one pin row with a side-cutter and bent the chip as long it drops off, clean the pads with solder iron, resolder the new chip.

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
USB programmer like ch341a. or buy a preprogrammed chip, and replace the BMC chip.
you need no special equipm.cut one pin row with a side-cutter and bent the chip as long it drops off, clean the pads with solder iron, resolder the new chip.
I'll take this as the last resort. Is there any other way to reset, reflash BMC? I guess toys like Supermicro IPMI SIMLP-3+ are not usefull in this scenario?