H12SSL-CT/NT onboard Broadcom 10GbE NIC - typical temps?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
What kind of temps are people seeing for the onboard Broadcom 57416 10GbE NIC?

I just powered up a H12SSL-NT motherboard for the first time and the MB_10G_LAN sensor is reading 62-64 C. Is this typical?

This is with an open case and no fan pointing at the onboard NIC's heatsink. The system is sitting at the BIOS screen with no other activity.

Interestingly, the IPMI GUI apparently doesn't trigger an alarm until it gets to 100 C.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
This is not typical, but rather low temperature for 10gbe chip without moving air on a summer day.

Reactions: lihp

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
If there is no fan, 60 degrees or more is correct. If the ambient temperature continues to rise (for example, installed in the case, or any load), it can reach the level of 70~80 degrees, so please arrange a little wind for it as much as possible

Reactions: lihp

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks everyone! I tried to look up the operating temp range for this chip but couldn't find it on Broadcom's site. However, the fact that the IPMI software doesn't trigger an alarm until 100 seems to hint that this like those SOCs that are mean to handle fairly high temps.

This particular case has a lot of fans so once it's all closed up, I suspect the chip will get enough moving air to do well without a dedicated fan.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Thanks everyone! I tried to look up the operating temp range for this chip but couldn't find it on Broadcom's site. However, the fact that the IPMI software doesn't trigger an alarm until 100 seems to hint that this like those SOCs that are mean to handle fairly high temps.

This particular case has a lot of fans so once it's all closed up, I suspect the chip will get enough moving air to do well without a dedicated fan.
No worries I was wondering like you once I saw the temperatures.