H12SSL- 7232p No video, IPMI (seems to be) working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Hey All-

Recently put together an h12SSL-i for a new server. I couldn't get any video out of it, but LE1 and Heartbeat both looking fine. So I connected to IPMI and it seems to be working, it correctly recognizes the processor, but also seems to think there are 8 32gb dimms installed when there is only 1. Sensors show a green check, but I can't read any CPU temps etc. It shows all the bios revs etc. I did try a BIOS reset...nothing has changed.

I've never used IPMI before, and the iKVM looks great but I'm a little lost on getting it working. A couple question there, do I need a key or different app to view iKVM and actually enter/access the bios? Without working VGA, I have no idea really where it's at in the boot cycle.

Also, any ideas on getting VGA to work? Is it worth the 27$ to buy the license? I need the license to actually use iKVM? I do have the jumper set to pins 1-2 for the video to be enabled. I also tried a GTX760 (only card I have laying around) and no dice there either.

Thanks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
For the problem with the sensor(s) reset the bmc, not the bios.

You don't need a license for using ikvm, the licenses are for out of band management, stuff like remote bios updates.

You can find ikvm under remote control > ikvm/html5, there is a button that start a new windows where you can see the "display" of the system.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 20.30.59.png

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks!

Mine looks slightly different, but I did do a BMC reset. Everything seems the same. Here is what I see. I don't see a tab on the left for iKVM, and under remote control there is only iKVM reset. I'm guessing this is related to the same issue of why the RGB output isn't working.

I don't have any other mobo's, proc or RAM (ecc reg at least) here to see if one of those is the issue.

Any ideas? Or am I logged into the wrong place? This is the only 'new' thing I see on my network...

1613930303726.png

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
One other thing, I have this setup on a test bench with an acrylic back piece. Is it possible that the mobo is trying to get a ground through one of the stand-offs? If so, does anyone know which screw, and could I simply tie a ground wire from that screw to a screw on the power supply?

That all seems pretty unlikely to me (shouldn't there be a ground tied to with he cables from PS to Mobo?), but I thought I'd mention it....I'd rather not buy a case that I won't need later.

Thanks again

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
The CPU & RAM info displayed in BMC web console is, most of the time, not synchronized with your real CPU & RAM. I don't know how to trigger it to update the info, but after some time, it will be synchronized.

Currently the firmwares (both BMC & BIOS) have some bugs on reading sensor records, so even you have booted into OS, there is some chance that the sensor data cannot be read successfully. This is confirmed by Supermicro support team and will be fixed in upcoming newer BMC & BIOS firmwares.

For VGA to work, have you correctly connected the VGA port to the VGA display with a good VGA cable? If you are sure that pin 1-2 of JPG1 is closed with the jumper, and your BIOS settings are reset, then you should see the output in VGA display.

If you don't like to use VGA and would like to use a graphic card, just close pin 2-3 of JPG1 and connect your DP/HDMI port to your display. You can change the "VGA priority" setting in BIOS to "offboard" to use the graphic card explicitly, but this is not a must.

Reactions: jpmomo

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
One other thing, I have this setup on a test bench with an acrylic back piece. Is it possible that the mobo is trying to get a ground through one of the stand-offs? If so, does anyone know which screw, and could I simply tie a ground wire from that screw to a screw on the power supply?

That all seems pretty unlikely to me (shouldn't there be a ground tied to with he cables from PS to Mobo?), but I thought I'd mention it....I'd rather not buy a case that I won't need later.

Thanks again
It should be unnecessary.. I never do that when checking whether a Mobo works well or not. But if you are to install the Mobo into a case, make sure the screws are in correct mounting holes, otherwise the screws in incorrect position may short your Mobo and damage it.

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Ok that makes sense that the BMC isn't updating correctly. It actually says 7262 when I have a 7232p installed, and it shows all 8 DIMM slots populated and I only have one (for now). Also it shows 2933, the one dimm I have is 3200- although that could be a BIOS setting (If I can ever get into the BIOS!).

For VGA to work, have you correctly connected the VGA port to the VGA display with a good VGA cable? If you are sure that pin 1-2 of JPG1 is closed with the jumper, and your BIOS settings are reset, then you should see the output in VGA display.
So, I think so. The only VGA cable I have came with a pretty cheap ACER monitor that I have, which is also the only monitor I have handy that has VGA input. I know it works with HDMI input...But also when I move the JPG1 jumper to 2-3 (or not) and put the GTX760 in, I am also still not getting video (with an HDMI cable and monitor that I know works). One curiosity, this GTX760 usually beeps if you don't have the power ports connected, with them not connected right now, it's not beeping. Is it possible this is suggesting that the BIOS boot sequence isn't getting as far as VGA initialization?

My instinct is to try some different ram. It seems that with the Epyc being SOC, it wouldn't even get this far if the problem was the processor (I did reseat it and check and the pins on the mobo look good).

Do you happen to know if I can test with DDR4 ECC REG that's only 2133? Or will it boot with non-ecc non reg? What I have is a NEMIX dual rank ECC/REG MR25600-324K01-G. I did try different slots including the one recommended in the manual (bank C). I'm going to try all 8 now.

Thanks!

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Is it possible this is suggesting that the BIOS boot sequence isn't getting as far as VGA initialization?
Sounds likely. I suggest that you stick to VGA rather than GTX760, to test the Mobo, if you are sure that all of the VGA parts are good. In my side, after clearing CMOS, close pin 1-2 of JPG1 and connect the VGA parts correctly, the VGA displays as expected. Notice: It costs a long time (about 2 minutes) to see any output when you power on after clearing CMOS.

Do you happen to know if I can test with DDR4 ECC REG that's only 2133? Or will it boot with non-ecc non reg?
I haven't got any 2133 DIMMs, so I don't know if it would work or not. But UDIMMs are very unlikely to work, only RDIMMs & LRDIMMs are ensured to work.

You can disconnect all unnecessary components from the Mobo, leaving only the necessary, to check if it works well. That is:

* Two 8-pin CPU power connectors connected
* One 24-pin ATX power connector connected
* 1 RDIMM ECC DDR4 >= 2666 installed in channel C1
* CPU installed, with a heatsink. CPU FAN connected to FAN2
* Power switch pin connected
* USB mouse connected
* VGA connected

This is the minimum condition to test the Mobo. If this not work, either the Mobo or some components are broken..

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
OK-

I have all those things. I never even saw fan2 there behind the 24 pin, but that's where I have it connected now and it's the same.

The only exception is I have just been using a screwdriver to short the pins to power it on...doesn't seem like that would be the issue though.

I ordered a 2666 4GB udimm to see if that works. Thanks!

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Oh gotcha, Udimm was a typo. I ordered an rdimm.

It's a production unit, at least it has the production label/etching on it, but I got it on 2nd hand on ebay...

alpha[[

Mar 5, 2021
Hi,

I got a h12ssl-i BIOS v1.0 and I managed to boot with an Nvidia 1080 as a graphic card. I had to set with the ipmi HTML5 console the vga priority to "Off board" in the PCI options.

However I still have an issue ; now when I do a cold boot, I have no display right away. Windows 10 boots, and I only have then, an extended display on the Geforce. It considers the IPMI HTML5 as the main display !

I have been working with Supermicro Hardware for the past 15 years, and I never see such a bug. I have an ongoing case with Supermicro, I'll try to comment if I find more info.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Hi,

I got a h12ssl-i BIOS v1.0 and I managed to boot with an Nvidia 1080 as a graphic card. I had to set with the ipmi HTML5 console the vga priority to "Off board" in the PCI options.

However I still have an issue ; now when I do a cold boot, I have no display right away. Windows 10 boots, and I only have then, an extended display on the Geforce. It considers the IPMI HTML5 as the main display !

I have been working with Supermicro Hardware for the past 15 years, and I never see such a bug. I have an ongoing case with Supermicro, I'll try to comment if I find more info.
Any updates on that?
I'm considering the h12ssl for a workstation and looking for any information about this mainboard being used in a workstation with gpu(s).

TNTBABY

Jul 19, 2022
Any updates on that?
I'm considering the h12ssl for a workstation and looking for any information about this mainboard being used in a workstation with gpu(s).
PLS check other sources for certain modle 7003 CPU known as works fine with H12ssl ...

My case here is 7443 not works with H12ssl-i. Looks same as this case. IPMI(BMC) works good, but no vga sign, no boot up.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I actually had a h12ssl-i + 7443P + 1080ti running without problems*. The external gpu was recognized and showed post info during bios/efi startup.
'Had' because I got a threadripper pro system for free and will use the epyc system for a fileserver on steroids :D

* not counting bluescreens/bootlos caused by windows 11 may patches + old sp3 drivers