h11dsi_nt is cracked. any help?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
1st best thing would've been not trying to power it on.

Measure for shorts, dremel the pcb out in that area a look if they're gone. Doesn't look like there are any traces you have to worry about.

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
1st best thing would've been not trying to power it on.

Measure for shorts, dremel the pcb out in that area a look if they're gone. Doesn't look like there are any traces you have to worry about.
it doesnot have traces there. i think it doesnot boot because of a short circuit on the last fan header pin.
can that be the problem?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I dont think it's only the pwm fan header pin, you have most likely connected multiple layers in there.

Just take a multimeter and check the pwm pin, 5v, 3.3v and 12v to ground

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
I dont think it's only the pwm fan header pin, you have most likely connected multiple layers in there.

Just take a multimeter and check the pwm pin, 5v, 3.3v and 12v to ground
i am new to this stuff. but i know the basics. after the pwm fan header pin. what i should be do next? according to the location of the crack.

chaoscontrol

Aug 15, 2019
The board has 8 or more layers with traces (electrical paths). The break probably shorts some traces from different levels of the PCB.

Reactions: nero243

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
The board has 8 or more layers with traces (electrical paths). The break probably shorts some traces from different levels of the PCB.
Exactly this.

Usually you repair this by grinding away the PCB in this area, make sure the layers aren't connected anymore and if you're feeling fancy you cover it up with liquid soldermask afterwards.

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
what do you mean by connected multi layers? did you mean that the crack conected many things togather in the first layer. or the multilayers connected to each other.
if the multi layers connected. how i repair it?

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
after i am grinding away the PCB in this area and make sure the layers aren't connected anymore . if i have a trace may be in the 2nd or third layer how i connected again ?
if a trace is in 2nd or 3rd layer .could i see them ? because i dont see any trace there.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
You start from the top to the bottom with grinding and just look if you find any traces while you go through. If you find something you need to figure out where it belongs with a multimeter, so you can solder the connection back together. But i'm not really concerned about alot of stuff going on in this area, you probabaly only have a few large copper layers.

But if you haven't done anything like that before, i really doubt that your sucessrate will be high. Especially if something's fryed because of the short.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'd get a new board. You don't know how much that damaged in from the MB as well. After it is fixed, will you trust it? I'd get a new board and not waste the time and maybe the money if something shorts.

Reactions: Tha_14

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
It is repairable. Did something very similar on a SM X10SRH CF

Since I find the explanations of the many before me rather good, correct and understandable, it seems as if might not be that able to do it and I won't recommend you to try fix it yourself.

On the other hand, I would be very interested in buying it from you in that condition, so that might also skew my recommendations ; )

Reactions: Tha_14 and nero243

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
You start from the top to the bottom with grinding and just look if you find any traces while you go through. If you find something you need to figure out where it belongs with a multimeter, so you can solder the connection back together. But i'm not really concerned about alot of stuff going on in this area, you probabaly only have a few large copper layers.

But if you haven't done anything like that before, i really doubt that your sucessrate will be high. Especially if something's fryed because of the short.
what is the possibility of something fried due to the short ?

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
It is repairable. Did something very similar on a SM X10SRH CF

Since I find the explanations of the many before me rather good, correct and understandable, it seems as if might not be that able to do it and I won't recommend you to try fix it yourself.

On the other hand, I would be very interested in buying it from you in that condition, so that might also skew my recommendations ; )
i will try my best,
sorry i am not interested in selling it . but if i want i will talk to you

Last edited:

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
I'd get a new board. You don't know how much that damaged in from the MB as well. After it is fixed, will you trust it? I'd get a new board and not waste the time and maybe the money if something shorts.
it is just 600$ motherboard. i will do my best. if not. i will buy a new one

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
what is the possibility of something fried due to the short ?
How dafuq should i know i don't have supermicros internal documents and know what exactly is in that area!

If you paid 600$ for a defective motherboard on ebay, i'll just hope God has mercy on your soul.

You seem to lack any knowledge whatsoever and probably also the right equipment. Do you seriously think i could do remote repair on a mainboard that has obviously a short through board???

ahmedna8

Nov 9, 2019
How dafuq should i know i don't have supermicros internal documents and know what exactly is in that area!

If you paid 600$ for a defective motherboard on ebay, i'll just hope God has mercy on your soul.

You seem to lack any knowledge whatsoever and probably also the right equipment. Do you seriously think i could do remote repair on a mainboard that has obviously a short through board???
thank you for your help. i appreciate it