H11DSi and RTX cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
hi to all,

i am trying to build a rig in mining frame with 5 gpu's (3* rtx 2080, 2* rtx 2080 ti) for Folding@Home and Gpugrid.net (science reaserch for developing cure for cancer, alzheimer, childhood cancer, vaccins, etc etc etc). but i am having problems to boot into windows. sometimes with luck, sometime without luck.

bios is v1.0c, mainboard rev.1.0 (or v1.1).
cpu is dual socket retail epyc naples 7551
memory 5 RDimms each cpu, ecc-reg, ddr4-2666 (totall of 80gb), but bios sees 72gb (not an issue for me).

my problem: when connecting 1 gpu (rtx 2080 or 2080 ti), then bios boot normally to windows 10, sometimes -:)... but somtimes it hangs at B4 bios-code (usb detection). because rtx-cards have usb-c port, i think my bios is hanging at this point.
but also without any reason it can normally boot to windows, i cann't reproduce the error. totally at random.

question 1). how to bypass this error? bios update?

question 2). how to update bios without ipmi? my only connection is usb wifi dongle.
tried to LAUNCH EFI from Bios -->> Boot, but no succes. and the instructions from SM are very vague about updateing bios.

if my story is not clear, plz ask it here.

oh yeah....i have been using these mainboard, dual cpu's and memory for 2 months without any problem, doing BOINC / WCG. connected to vga-port and vga-display.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Yes you have to update your Bios, 1.0c doesn't have RTX support.

Launching the EFI Shell should work from bios, not sure whats wrong there. Flashing is pretty much straight foward once your in the EFI shell, just navigate to your USB and launch the flash.nsh with the bios file name after it.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Yes you have to update your Bios, 1.0c doesn't have RTX support.

Launching the EFI Shell should work from bios, not sure whats wrong there. Flashing is pretty much straight foward once your in the EFI shell, just navigate to your USB and launch the flash.nsh with the bios file name after it.
EFI shell says no disk found.

lots of things in bios are set to LEGACY ROM. maybe is this the reason for not finding usb stick?

i have used MULTIBOOT usb stick with FAT32 which i made with
MultiBootUSB software. maybe this software makes usb stick as bootable hard disk which is not supported on SM mainboards.

tomorrow i will try just a normal usb stick with unzipped bios files in the root of ordinary usb stick.

i will keep updated this thread

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
A non bootable fat32 stick should work, usb3.0 and large capacities are sometimes a problem source too.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
i have usb 2.0 stick, 64mb. connected to usb 2 port of mainboard.

but i cann't load efi shell from bios. says "not found".
extracted zip to the root of usb stick, no any other files on it. just only extracted zip....

even tried with the bios-zip file on usb stick. but no succes. no efi shell launched.

even updating bios from superdoctor web-app is not working for bios update.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
bios update succeded !!!

i had in bios under BOOT -->> BOOT MODE set to only LEGACY. setting it to DUAL mode helped me to get into uefi after F11 button.

now next step is to get rtx recognized.

i keep this thread updated