Guinea pigs needed - aka FreeNas 11.3 is out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So would you guys use this now for new builds and trust with data?

I've been holding off on migrating my home storage pool to new low power setup and freenas :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well I feel reasonably safe with the new version (little experience with U1), but I don't run any additional services (jails&co) on mine.

But I definitely cannot recommend a low power build for you, this will not meet the Ultra-High-Performance expectations that you surly have :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well I feel reasonably safe with the new version (little experience with U1), but I don't run any additional services (jails&co) on mine.

But I definitely cannot recommend a low power build for you, this will not meet the Ultra-High-Performance expectations that you surly have :D
Thnx! LOL.

I've migrated all high perf needs off my home storage :D :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So had to revert to 11.x on my test/new build box due to the LSI 3008 & SSD issue. Other box with SSDs is rebooting every now and then and the ones with disks are thankfully unaffected

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
So had to revert to 11.x on my test/new build box due to the LSI 3008 & SSD issue. Other box with SSDs is rebooting every now and then and the ones with disks are thankfully unaffected

This thread is for 11.3 you said go back to 11.x, all of these are 11.x so I'm unsure what version you're referencing was the issue vs. stable?

What is the "LSI 3008" issue? Does it affect 2008?
Does it affect the os\boot drive if SSD mirrored pool too?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Reactions: nezach and T_Minus

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
3008 + SSD. That's a nasty bug, luckily I haven't updated as yet....cause I usually update the ZFS pool that, as far as I know, can't be reverted :eek:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
yep, you'd be out of luck then. I think my main pool is still running on a FreeNas 9 feature level for that reason...

blindingled

Jan 17, 2020
Australia
i am sorry for my comment (from a freenas-noob), but when i read your issue's, i cannn't imagine that such a famous product as freenas, is immature...it migth be wrong impression, but that is the feeling i have when i read these replies....i think i will not use use freenas as a NAS solution
I've had my issues with FreeNAS, there's definitely a lack of polish on the UI (the confusing errors if you have 520 byte formatted drives, ugh!) but I have never ever lost data with it. I reckon that's the important metric. I hope you try it out at least for the sake of learning something.

Too bad I have my DS4246s tied up so can't try this out.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for posting those links @Rand__ I was about to setup a new box with 3008 controller and 11.3. Guess will have to go with 11.2 for now.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
At this point the issue does seem to have some variety to it.
I experienced pretty bad symptoms (as I said up till disks not being seen [single hba port of six]) on an updated 11.2. installation - but I have not seen issues with a fresh 11.3 U1 installation up until now (same box).

At this point I'd say give it a try - I cannot imagine that iX did not test this very common combination, so there must be some secondary aspect in place...

Reactions: nezach

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
At this point the issue does seem to have some variety to it.
I experienced pretty bad symptoms (as I said up till disks not being seen [single hba port of six]) on an updated 11.2. installation - but I have not seen issues with a fresh 11.3 U1 installation up until now (same box).

At this point I'd say give it a try - I cannot imagine that iX did not test this very common combination, so there must be some secondary aspect in place...
Thanks for the info. I will give it a go then and report back.