Guide: How to Build a 8-bay DAS Enclosure SATA/ SAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
For anyone looking for the sff-8088/8087 bulkheads, @nthu9280 has a few for sale:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...b-extras-x9-x10-mbs-cpus-hbas-and-more.13295/
Supermicro CBL-0386L 4 x 8087 Internal to External cascade cable.
- Qty 1: $35 shipped in US.
Specs here:
Supermicro Internal to External MiniSAS 4 Ports Cascading Cable for 847 2x70cm/2x50cm (CBL-0386L)

Supermicro CBL-0168L 2 x 8087 Internal to External cascade cable. Need to check whether I have full or low profile ones.
- Qty 2: $20 EA shipped in US.
Specs here:
Supermicro Internal to External MiniSAS 2 Ports Full Height Cascading 66/59cm Cable (CBL-0168L)

Tlh

Jan 7, 2019
Hi, I am building a 6 bay 3.5 hdd using a node 304. Most likely I can add in a few ssd with the extra space.
A noob question to ask.
1) Do I need to get 3 Norco C-8087-8088F. 2 for my node 304 and 1 for my current pc which has no such port ?

Now I have problem with my SAS card recognising more than 1 drive per port.
When I connect the JBOD I just built (almost the same built as the one described at the very beginning of this thread) to my SAS HBA (an HP SC08e ), only the 1st drive of each port (4 WD Red drives are connected to each port via an external/internal SAS adapter and an internal SAS to 4x SATA cable) is detected by Ubuntu 18.04. I checked all the cables/adapters on the path and they are not faulty. Is it possible that this SAS HBA doesn't support more than one device per port when not using an HP enclosure? In the description (link above), it says it supports these enclosures:
  • HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 SAS MSA Dual Controller LFF Array System (Two AW592A G3 SAS controllers, one AP838A LFF 12-drive bay chassis)
  • HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 SAS G2 Modular Smart Array Controller
  • HP StorageWorks 2300sa G2 Modular Smart Array Controller
Would it means it supports only these enclosures?
I know that HP servers are very picky with their HBA and you can't really use a non-HP one unless you want your server to sound like a jet engine. Then do I have any other option than using a P812? Would a Dell server be less picky with SAS external HBA.
Thanks!

Charles

When I connect the JBOD I just built (almost the same built as the one described at the very beginning of this thread) to my SAS HBA (an HP SC08e ), only the 1st drive of each port (4 WD Red drives are connected to each port via an external/internal SAS adapter and an internal SAS to 4x SATA cable) is detected by Ubuntu 18.04. I checked all the cables/adapters on the path and they are not faulty. Is it possible that this SAS HBA doesn't support more than one device per port when not using an HP enclosure? In the description (link above), it says it supports these enclosures:
  • HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 SAS MSA Dual Controller LFF Array System (Two AW592A G3 SAS controllers, one AP838A LFF 12-drive bay chassis)
  • HP StorageWorks P2000 G3 SAS G2 Modular Smart Array Controller
  • HP StorageWorks 2300sa G2 Modular Smart Array Controller
Would it means it supports only these enclosures?
I know that HP servers are very picky with their HBA and you can't really use a non-HP one unless you want your server to sound like a jet engine. Then do I have any other option than using a P812? Would a Dell server be less picky with SAS external HBA.
Thanks!

Charles
I managed to make it work. The solution was to upgrade the firmware of the HBAs to P20 and to use shorter SAS cables. Now it works fine!

Charles

TechBria

Feb 28, 2019
I am looking at building such a chassis as I like that it can be SAS at a fraction of the price. Is there any way to make the chassis come on from a power failure automatically. I would put it on a UPS but it would be nice if the battery runs out to have the box come back online.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I am looking at building such a chassis as I like that it can be SAS at a fraction of the price. Is there any way to make the chassis come on from a power failure automatically. I would put it on a UPS but it would be nice if the battery runs out to have the box come back online.
3.5" or 2.5"?
If you don't have the parts lying around, you may be better off buying a shelf off e-bay.
Netapp ds2246 are 24x2.5" in 2u, and readily available for ~85 delivered, ready to go. Add another ~80 for cable (QSFP to SFF8088) and HBA.
For a 3.5" drives, if you don't need 6gb/s speed, here is a netapp 4243 shipped for $90.
NetApp DS4243 Disk Array Shelf w/ 24x Hdd Caddies + Rails NO HDD | eBay
that is 24x3.5" drives. (I'm assuming this has the IOM and power supplies)
Of course, both of above units are noisy.
xyratex and dell market similar units.
If you have parts, all you need to do with a normal PC power supply is jumper the green wire to one of the black wires, as shown here:
How To Turn On An ATX Power Supply Without A Motherboard

TechBria

Feb 28, 2019
3.5" or 2.5"?
If you don't have the parts lying around, you may be better off buying a shelf off e-bay.
Netapp ds2246 are 24x2.5" in 2u, and readily available for ~85 delivered, ready to go. Add another ~80 for cable (QSFP to SFF8088) and HBA.
For a 3.5" drives, if you don't need 6gb/s speed, here is a netapp 4243 shipped for $90.
NetApp DS4243 Disk Array Shelf w/ 24x Hdd Caddies + Rails NO HDD | eBay
that is 24x3.5" drives. (I'm assuming this has the IOM and power supplies)
Of course, both of above units are noisy.
xyratex and dell market similar units.
If you have parts, all you need to do with a normal PC power supply is jumper the green wire to one of the black wires, as shown here:
How To Turn On An ATX Power Supply Without A Motherboard
Thanks. I will look at some chassis options. I was looking at the original post here where he used the Silverstone case and the Supermicro control board. I want to have the chassis come on though from a power failure if possible.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks. I will look at some chassis options. I was looking at the original post here where he used the Silverstone case and the Supermicro control board. I want to have the chassis come on though from a power failure if possible.
There are 3 ways of doing that:
1: real disk shelf has physical switches, if they are on it is on.
2: Use a Supermicro JBOD control board, which does the same for a ATX power supply.
3: Jumper green wire on power supply to black wire, which turns it on. Leave jumper in place.