Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi all,

@fohdeesha Thank you so much for this guide. It's a clear, no brainer guide. Worked like a charm the first time without any kernel panic or anything else, really. The IT mode of the H710 mini in my R720 was the missing link to my dream setup. Thank you very much for your work. People doing low level firmware work are very scarce these days.

Is there a way to support your work? Do you accept any kind of contributions?
Can't take any contributions but your gratitude is appreciated :) Don't forget @fourlynx who did half the work!

Reactions: gb00s

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
updated the guide and ISOs to include the full size H710P B0 as requested by @Twist - I think that's now every variant of every perc card of this generation covered

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
I tried the H710P B0 xflash today and it worked without problems - thanks for your help :)

One thing I did notice after flashing was that the chip/controller temperature readout in MSM is not available any more.
I guess it's not possible to get this readout even on an genuine 9205-8e, anyway, it's a nice feature I miss.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

bitmanipulator

Feb 29, 2020
@fohdeesha Have you run across any issues with the inability to select which disk is booted from? I've got an H310 Mini in an R620 that works great after the reflash to IT mode, but the controller seemingly picks a random disk to boot from. I've not been able to find any place within the controller BIOS to select the bootable disk, nor in the system BIOS. Any ideas on this?

thecommguy

May 24, 2020
I have R420's and one of my H710 mini's shows "RAID Adapter Firmware Failed Validation!!! Adapter needs to be reflashed." I followed your instructions and booted to the FreeDOS live image. When I run the info command the command starts to run correctly but then just stops. Nothing else is displayed after the "Copyright.." line. Is there another way to figure out which chip revision it is? Then, how do I get it to respond to a command? This adapter came from another server (R720) and I'm not sure if it ever worked on that server. I pulled it out of that server since it was going to the bone yard anyway.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha Have you run across any issues with the inability to select which disk is booted from? I've got an H310 Mini in an R620 that works great after the reflash to IT mode, but the controller seemingly picks a random disk to boot from. I've not been able to find any place within the controller BIOS to select the bootable disk, nor in the system BIOS. Any ideas on this?
in the main menu you can enable/disable disks for boot, it's a weird key to toggle it on and off for drives (like + or - or DEL or something), I can't remember offhand but it shows it somewhere in the menu

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have R420's and one of my H710 mini's shows "RAID Adapter Firmware Failed Validation!!! Adapter needs to be reflashed." I followed your instructions and booted to the FreeDOS live image. When I run the info command the command starts to run correctly but then just stops. Nothing else is displayed after the "Copyright.." line. Is there another way to figure out which chip revision it is? Then, how do I get it to respond to a command? This adapter came from another server (R720) and I'm not sure if it ever worked on that server. I pulled it out of that server since it was going to the bone yard anyway.
you need to pull it out and look at the label on the back of it, then match the part number in my list here to see what card and revision it is: Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs

then go to the appropriate page on the left for that model. be very careful and double check you're on the right page as a lot of the models have extremely similar names and double check the revision as well. then once on the right page just follow the guide as normal (skipping the "info" step because it's going to fail

thecommguy

May 24, 2020
you need to pull it out and look at the label on the back of it, then match the part number in my list here to see what card and revision it is: Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs

then go to the appropriate page on the left for that model. be very careful and double check you're on the right page as a lot of the models have extremely similar names and double check the revision as well. then once on the right page just follow the guide as normal (skipping the "info" step because it's going to fail
UGH! I got impatient and totally missed the part number section on the first page. Guessed it might be a D1 card and pressed forward with the Revert script. It appeared to work fine (based on my testing with another known good card). But at reboot, PCIe Training Error: Integrated RAID
System halted! is displayed.

Is there any way to recover the card now or did I brick it? So far I can't get past this in the bootup process.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
UGH! I got impatient and totally missed the part number section on the first page. Guessed it might be a D1 card and pressed forward with the Revert script. It appeared to work fine (based on my testing with another known good card). But at reboot, PCIe Training Error: Integrated RAID
System halted! is displayed.

Is there any way to recover the card now or did I brick it? So far I can't get past this in the bootup process.
you bricked it. this is why there's like 5 warnings not to follow the guide unless you're absolutely sure which part it is :)

Butrdtost

Mar 8, 2020
@fohdeesha I'm hoping I didn't hard brick my H310 Mini in my R620...
I used the Linux ISO... used the info to collect my address... used the flashing process... rebooted.... didn't get a kernel panic...
However it's telling me No LSI SAS adapters found!
I tried rebooting again and still getting the same message
please tell me I didn't just brick this thing... I just got my unRAID migrated over from a DR4000 to my R620 >.<
On the plus side it's not halting my boot process X-D

bloick

May 31, 2020
Hi all, today I tried to flash my H710 D1 to IT mode. It was detected with the info command, I started the flashing process but I got error 524288.
I read that dlowe had the same error so i rebooted as @fohdeesha told him to do. Now it isn't detected on POST neither with the info command in dos (it's stuck after the "copyright" line).

Is there a way to detect it and flash it again ? I saw a guy on YouTube who fixed his H310 by manualy writing the EEPROM. Maybe it's possible with the H710 but I don't know the which tool to use to check theses EEPROMS.
Thanks for any clues

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha I'm hoping I didn't hard brick my H310 Mini in my R620...
I used the Linux ISO... used the info to collect my address... used the flashing process... rebooted.... didn't get a kernel panic...
However it's telling me No LSI SAS adapters found!
I tried rebooting again and still getting the same message
please tell me I didn't just brick this thing... I just got my unRAID migrated over from a DR4000 to my R620 >.<
On the plus side it's not halting my boot process X-D
It's not bricked unless it's stopping your machine from booting. It sounds like the IT mode SBR didn't get flashed. Boot the FreeDOS ISO (not linux), and run "310REVRT" without quotations. this will get the card back to clean factory dell. Then remove power from the server completely for 20 seconds or so, then boot the linux ISO, and try following the H310 mini flashing guide again. be absolutely sure it's also an H310 mini as well

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi all, today I tried to flash my H710 D1 to IT mode. It was detected with the info command, I started the flashing process but I got error 524288.
I read that dlowe had the same error so i rebooted as @fohdeesha told him to do. Now it isn't detected on POST neither with the info command in dos (it's stuck after the "copyright" line).

Is there a way to detect it and flash it again ? I saw a guy on YouTube who fixed his H310 by manualy writing the EEPROM. Maybe it's possible with the H710 but I don't know the which tool to use to check theses EEPROMS.
Thanks for any clues
You need to follow the revert step at the bottom of the guide page for your card, this will get it back to a factory dell card to start fresh from. If it's a full size H710 D1, that would be running "BIGD1RVT" in freedos. If it's an H710 D1 mini, that would be running "D1REVERT" in freedos. be absolutely sure you know what model the card is. After that, power off the server for 20 seconds, boot it back up and start following the guide again from scratch. It should work

bloick

May 31, 2020
You need to follow the revert step at the bottom of the guide page for your card, this will get it back to a factory dell card to start fresh from. If it's a full size H710 D1, that would be running "BIGD1RVT" in freedos. If it's an H710 D1 mini, that would be running "D1REVERT" in freedos. be absolutely sure you know what model the card is. After that, power off the server for 20 seconds, boot it back up and start following the guide again from scratch. It should work
Thanks ! I reverted and did it again. It got stuck at 30% with the same error code but the second pass erased it at 100%

It works fine, you're the best !

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Added a warning to the guide to NOT attempt any of these crossflashes on a blade chassis, like an m620 and m820. After some reports, it turns out the blades use a different dell model card, which has slightly different PCI vendor values. following the guide will brick the card as the blade will no longer recognize it. Working on modifying SBRs for these blade cards so I can add a crossflash guide for the blade-specific cards

Spiro

Jan 8, 2019
New York
Quick question I would like to purchase a H710 or H710p PCIE for my R720 and flash it to IT mode. It was stated before that the equivalent LSI cards are better to use?I just need a second controller and I already have the minis ( thanks for the excellent quide!)

Thanks

KCserve

Apr 18, 2020
Just a note: in my experience, the H310 Mini will work fine with both BIOS and UEFI Bootloaders on it. The H710 D1 revision Mini also will work with both Bootloaders.

However the H710 B0 revision Mini will have issues as razvan1 saw - unable to enter the config due to boot err. @fohdeesha your fix there is absolutely correct - reflashing the H710 B0 and loading ONLY the BIOS bootloader works correctly.

Thanks again for all the help and shared knowledge @fohdeesha - extremely appreciated!!!

make sure the server is set to boot in bios mode, and start the guide over from the beginning to wipe the card and all the bootloaders off it. flash only the BIOS bootloader. after that you should be able to enter the boot utility, everyone else with that card has

Reactions: fohdeesha