Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
so something really weird.. I have 2 of exactly the same servers.. with exactly the same drive layout in the bays..
0/1 = SSD
2-7 = 600G SAS

But when I boot the Windows Installer, server 1 sees a (dont know which one) 600GB SAS as drive 0, server 2 sees a SSD as drive 0..

both flashed with exactly the same ROM..

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
so something really weird.. I have 2 of exactly the same servers.. with exactly the same drive layout in the bays..
0/1 = SSD
2-7 = 600G SAS

But when I boot the Windows Installer, server 1 sees a (dont know which one) 600GB SAS as drive 0, server 2 sees a SSD as drive 0..

both flashed with exactly the same ROM..
same IDRAC and BIOS versions? I'd check the backplane firmware version too, should be in idrac under system inventory

wolololo

Feb 19, 2020
Many thanks for this utility. I've flashed a Dell H710 Mini rev. D on a Dell R720 through idrac. Everything went according to the guide, including the optional boot images. The drives show up in linux and I intend to pass it through to a FreeNAS VM. Again, Thank You!
I just came back just to tell you that everything still seems to work fine for me, even after some firmware updates. Thanks again!

Reactions: fohdeesha

mattatat25

Oct 24, 2020
When trying to load freedos off of the usb and type "info" this is my output.

The battery is disconnected, booting from internal usb.

Made the thumb drive in Rufus using dd mode. Then the system wont boot, had to make the drive in Ubuntu for the server to actually boot to free dos.

R720XD
H710p Mini

Attachments

Jesus V.

Nov 3, 2016
Hi, and first of all, thank you @fohdeesha and all for this method :)

I've flashed a H710 mini B0 to IT mode without problems and now Proxmox it's working with 4 x KINGSTON SEDC500M1920G in ZFS Raid 10.

I've following your guide and removed battery.

Now, server haves a activated alarm : PERC1 ROMB Battery

How can i disable this check or remove the alarm?

1605174912472.png

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
on the home page of idrac towards the bottom, click "view logs" right above the idrac log/warning list then hit "clear log" at the bottom to erase them. since it no longer sees a PERC, the warning won't come back

Jesus V.

Nov 3, 2016
on the home page of idrac towards the bottom, click "view logs" right above the idrac log/warning list then hit "clear log" at the bottom to erase them. since it no longer sees a PERC, the warning won't come back
Not working. I've cleared all logs, wait more than 10 minutes, logout, and alarm still here.

1605181561543.png

1605181598439.png

1605181633859.png

yazyaz

Oct 5, 2017
hi guys,

I try with : H710P D1 Mini - Fohdeesha Docs
got some error, and I have brick my H710p D1 (0TY8F9) dell. :p ( system halted, wrong pcie card )

ok, certainly my fault. So i purchase a ch341 USB programmer
like :

is .ROM = .BIN file to re-flash the card ?
or is someone have a modified .BIN for my card ?

Thx for help (and sorry for my poor english :cool:)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
hi guys,

I try with : H710P D1 Mini - Fohdeesha Docs
got some error, and I have brick my H710p D1 (0TY8F9) dell. :p ( system halted, wrong pcie card )

ok, certainly my fault. So i purchase a ch341 USB programmer
like :

is .ROM = .BIN file to re-flash the card ?
or is someone have a modified .BIN for my card ?

Thx for help (and sorry for my poor english :cool:)
you need to flash the stock SBR to the SBR EEPROM chip on the card. the cheap china programmers may be able to program it in place, it may not (you might need to desolder the chip off the board first). this is the stock sbr for your card Fohdeesha/lab-docu

yazyaz

Oct 5, 2017
you need to flash the stock SBR to the SBR EEPROM chip on the card. the cheap china programmers may be able to program it in place, it may not (you might need to desolder the chip off the board first). this is the stock sbr for your card Fohdeesha/lab-docu
hello guys,

thx, i have rewrite the card, i have a firmware error, but the server post :p I retry this WE

Thx a lot fohdeesha :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

danie1k

Nov 28, 2020
Poland
github.com
Hi everyone!
Firstly I'd like to thank @fohdeesha for the great job and well written documentation.

But for me not eveything went smoothly and I'm tryking to maki it work from ~6 hours now.
I might have bricked my card, but as you mentioned in the other post - "It's not bricked unless it's stopping your machine from booting".

I read whole thread, but neither of solutions works for me and I just don't know what to do now and need your help.

PERC H710P Mini D1 (0TY8F9) in Dell r720 (BIOS 2.9.0)

At the very beginning I had a "Error code = 524288" problem during FreeDOS state, but finally I made through it successfully.
Then the Linux part went smoothly, no errors at all.
But then the real problems started.

In general, the card was showing up in lspci command, but that was it - it was not showing up it's BIOS during server start up, no disks was available to use.
But now the card disappeared completely. On the other hand - green LED on PCB is flashing all the time.

I tried two solutions from this thread:
  1. https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...0-mini-full-size-to-it-mode.27459/post-255458 (but with PD1CROSS command)
  2. And PD1REVRT suggested in https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...full-size-to-it-mode.27459/page-5#post-268039
And neither works. DOS tools just shows "No MD controller(s) found."

What can I do in this situation?
Does SATA/RAID-related bios settings matter? (In other words - can any of the bios options affect RAID controller, apart of SR-IOV Global Enable and I/OAT DMA Engine)
I played with different BIOS options a lot during last few hours...

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi everyone!
Firstly I'd like to thank @fohdeesha for the great job and well written documentation.

But for me not eveything went smoothly and I'm tryking to maki it work from ~6 hours now.
I might have bricked my card, but as you mentioned in the other post - "It's not bricked unless it's stopping your machine from booting".

I read whole thread, but neither of solutions works for me and I just don't know what to do now and need your help.

PERC H710P Mini D1 (0TY8F9) in Dell r720 (BIOS 2.9.0)

At the very beginning I had a "Error code = 524288" problem during FreeDOS state, but finally I made through it successfully.
Then the Linux part went smoothly, no errors at all.
But then the real problems started.

In general, the card was showing up in lspci command, but that was it - it was not showing up it's BIOS during server start up, no disks was available to use.
But now the card disappeared completely. On the other hand - green LED on PCB is flashing all the time.

I tried two solutions from this thread:
  1. https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...0-mini-full-size-to-it-mode.27459/post-255458 (but with PD1CROSS command)
  2. And PD1REVRT suggested in https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...full-size-to-it-mode.27459/page-5#post-268039
And neither works. DOS tools just shows "No MD controller(s) found."

What can I do in this situation?
Does SATA/RAID-related bios settings matter? (In other words - can any of the bios options affect RAID controller, apart of SR-IOV Global Enable and I/OAT DMA Engine)
I played with different BIOS options a lot during last few hours...
if you can get me a teamviewer session or similar to the server I can probably fix it. before that though, remove the card and then re-install it, to re-seat it fully. then unhook the battery from it, and remove power from the server for a couple minutes. then repower the server, and follow the guide from scratch again (the "info" commands probably won't spit anything out with the state the card is in, but just keep following the guide)

danie1k

Nov 28, 2020
Poland
github.com
remove the card and then re-install it, to re-seat it fully. then unhook the battery from it, and remove power from the server for a couple minutes. then repower the server
I've tried it for a couple of times already. I gave it one more shot just a minute ago, after server was completely disconnected from mains grid for more than 12 hours, and reinstalled the card a few times. Still no luck - neither PD1CROSS, nor PD1REVRT works. RAID card battery removal is the first thing I did :)

if you can get me a teamviewer session or similar to the server I can probably fix it
I never expected to receive such direct support! That would be great, TBH. Do you mean some Ubuntu/Debian fired up on server? - Currently I opeprate only from Live CD OS's boot via USB stick.

I would like to at least bring the card back to Dell's stock firmware.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
are you absolutely sure it's a H710P D1 Mini? I'd be booting the same two live ISOs from my guide, so a teamviewer session on something like a windows laptop with an idrac window up to the server would be easiest. if you can get one up quick and PM me the info this morning I might be able to take a look before I go to sleep but no promises

Reactions: danie1k