Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
That's really, really strange - the card is getting crossflashed to the correct PCI vendor and sub-vendor IDs, so no problem there. At this point I'm not sure what else to try other than:

ensure your BIOS is at v2.9.0, and your idrac is at v2.65.65.65 - very important. You can easily update both through the idrac web UI under idrac settings > update/rollback. There's an upload form, just upload these two exe files and it will recognize them as firmware updates, and idrac will install them without needing to boot any OS (they are for R720XD as you mentioned in your other post):

idrac: https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER06110107M...roller_Firmware_0GHF4_WN64_2.65.65.65_A00.EXE
bios: https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER05981274M/1/BIOS_8P8WX_WN64_2.9.0.EXE

After that, try again after both are fully updated. If still no luck, you need to open it and find the NVRAM_CLR jumper - move the jumper to pins 2-3 instead of 1-2 where it is by default, and leave it for ten seconds, then move it back. then power the server back on. This will reset the BIOS/UEFI settings more thoroughly than a simple "reset to defaults" will in the bios menu. One other member at least in this thread had this solve the same problem:

I've updated the BIOS and iDrac with the files you linked, and cleared NVRAM. Oddly, when I went to revert the card back to stock dell firmware to try again, it detected as a D1 revision instead of a B0 revision. I cancelled the rollback, because it didn't match up with what I saw earlier. Going through the whole process again (without reverting), I encountered the exact same behavior. Perhaps updating the BIOS changed how the card was detected or something? If I revert back to the D1 firmware and then follow the D1 guide, would that brick the card if it was in fact a B0 revision and the software isn't detecting it correctly?

Thank you for your help.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well that's a first! At this point, what you need to do to be safe is take the perc mini card out of the server, and take a picture of the label on the back. It will have a dell part number, with that I can tell you exactly what it actually is. If you run the wrong flash or revert script with the wrong sbr it will indeed brick it

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
Well that's a first! At this point, what you need to do to be safe is take the perc mini card out of the server, and take a picture of the label on the back. It will have a dell part number, with that I can tell you exactly what it actually is. If you run the wrong flash or revert script with the wrong sbr it will indeed brick it
Here you go!

controller

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

The info command is to show that it's the LSI firmware before reverting. While the first line detects it as a B0 the warning says D1.
woops! That's my bad - those script commands don't actually detect what card you have, it's just static text for each command - the B0 command you ran had a typo showing d1 instead of B0 - I actually fixed it several months ago but forgot to build a new freedos ISO with the change: fix PB0 revert typo · Fohdeesha/lab-docu@cc94d33

Go ahead and run that revert script (you definitely have a B0) to get it back to stock, then start the flash guide from scratch again now that everything is cleared and up to date

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
woops! That's my bad - those script commands don't actually detect what card you have, it's just static text for each command - the B0 command you ran had a typo showing d1 instead of B0 - I actually fixed it several months ago but forgot to build a new freedos ISO with the change: fix PB0 revert typo · Fohdeesha/lab-docu@cc94d33

Go ahead and run that revert script (you definitely have a B0) to get it back to stock, then start the flash guide from scratch again now that everything is cleared and up to date
Okay, so once I reverted it to stock, the info command in FreeDOS worked just fine. Going through the entire process, same error, it doesn't detect an LSI SAS card in the system with either the info or setsas command in Linux. I reset it to defaults, then cleared NVRAM and tried again. Same issue. I've updated the BIOS and iDrac with the files you linked.

Thankfully I can just revert it to defaults, so no harm done due to the various issues. What do you think I can try next?

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
Hello. I'm trying to flash my H710 mini B0 (in an r620) over ssh. I've gotten to the point where you set the SAS address, but when I enter the command from the guide with my own address it says "No LSI SAS adapters found". Why does it say there are no adapters found when I was able to do all of the previous steps without problem?

Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -c
Exiting Program.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hello. I'm trying to flash my H710 mini B0 (in an r620) over ssh. I've gotten to the point where you set the SAS address, but when I enter the command from the guide with my own address it says "No LSI SAS adapters found". Why does it say there are no adapters found when I was able to do all of the previous steps without problem?

Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -c
Exiting Program.
Well shit, I got enough reports of this since updating the Linux ISO I'm thinking debian 11 might not work with lsiutil - can you (and anyone else with this problem including @BlueScope819 ) try starting from scratch but with this previous set of ISOs? - https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/perc/perc-crossflash-v1.8.zip

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
I just booted into the free dos to do info but it said nothing about the raid controller. (I'm pretty sure its the same message just without the raid controller part)

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
I just booted into the free dos to do info but it said nothing about the raid controller. (I'm pretty sure its the same message just without the raid controller part)
You need to revert it back to Dell Firmware to start over. Scroll down to the bottom of the guide, the command is there.

Well shit, I got enough reports of this since updating the Linux ISO I'm thinking debian 11 might not work with lsiutil - can you (and anyone else with this problem including @BlueScope819 ) try starting from scratch but with this previous set of ISOs? - https://fohdeesha.com/data/other/perc/perc-crossflash-v1.8.zip
I don't think that trying the previous set will work for me, as I was encountering these issues before you posted the new set of ISOs, that was one of the first things I tried, moving to the new ISOs.

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
You need to revert it back to Dell Firmware to start over. Scroll down to the bottom of the guide, the command is there.

I don't think that trying the previous set will work for me, as I was encountering these issues before you posted the new set of ISOs, that was one of the first things I tried, moving to the new ISOs.
Thanks, I'll do that.

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
I just did B0CROSS and got "Error in erasing Flash chip. Error code = 524288" at 70% of earasing the flash chip. (after finishing B0REVERT and rebooting)

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
I just did B0CROSS and got "Error in erasing Flash chip. Error code = 524288" at 70% of earasing the flash chip. (after finishing B0REVERT and rebooting)
I've had a similar issue before, mine failed at 30% and I think it's a similar error code. Just run the command again, it didn't pose any issues for me as it does two cycles of erasing.

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
I've had a similar issue before, mine failed at 30% and I think it's a similar error code. Just run the command again, it didn't pose any issues for me as it does two cycles of erasing.
Now I'm getting this error message when setting the SAS adress

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(B0)

Executing Operation: Program SAS Address

ERROR: Programming SAS Address Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Also when I did the B0-H710 command this happened, but it completed.

user@debian:~$ sudo su -
root@debian:~# B0-H710
rmmod: ERROR: Module megaraid_sas is not currently loaded
rmmod: ERROR: Module mptctl is not currently loaded
rmmod: ERROR: Module mptbase is not currently loaded
Errors above are normal!
Trying unlock in MPT mode...
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
Resetting adapter in HCB mode...
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Setting up HCB...
HCDW virtual: 0x7f43d1200000
HCDW physical: 0xc1aa00000
Loading firmware...
Loaded 809340 bytes
Booting IOC...
IOC is READY
IOC Host Boot successful.
Device in MPT mode
Removing PCI device...
Rescanning PCI bus...
PCI bus rescan complete.
Pausing for 20 seconds to allow the card to boot

edit: I'm not sure what happened but the server seems to have rebooted its self when I wasn't looking. In the boot it said "system fatal error during previous boot. core-instruction fetch unit error, core mid level error" I pressed f1 to continue and nothing seems abnormal.

Last edited:

BlueScope819

Jul 19, 2021
Now I'm getting this error message when setting the SAS adress

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(B0)

Executing Operation: Program SAS Address

ERROR: Programming SAS Address Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Also when I did the B0-H710 command this happened, but it completed.

user@debian:~$ sudo su -
root@debian:~# B0-H710
rmmod: ERROR: Module megaraid_sas is not currently loaded
rmmod: ERROR: Module mptctl is not currently loaded
rmmod: ERROR: Module mptbase is not currently loaded
Errors above are normal!
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Setting up HCB...
HCDW virtual: 0x7f43d1200000
HCDW physical: 0xc1aa00000
Loading firmware...
Loaded 809340 bytes
Booting IOC...
IOC is READY
IOC Host Boot successful.
Device in MPT mode
Removing PCI device...
Rescanning PCI bus...
PCI bus rescan complete.
Pausing for 20 seconds to allow the card to boot

edit: I'm not sure what happened but the server seems to have rebooted its self when I wasn't looking. In the boot it said "system fatal error during previous boot. core-instruction fetch unit error, core mid level error" I pressed f1 to continue and nothing seems abnormal.
No idea about the SAS address bit, that's a different error from what I was having. If you look at the guide, it seems like the server kernel panics after first reboot for whatever reason.

As for myself, I'm still stuck where it won't let me flash the SAS address with the first error you encountered. I'm really not an expert, just sharing my own experiences with troubleshooting so far. I'll leave it up to @fohdeesha to answer any complicated questions.

Groto

Apr 26, 2021
That was part of the goal, I also made a couple tweaks to the flash scripts under linux to hopefully help - the new ISO package is now live on the site, I encourage non-dell hardware people with issues in the past to retry
awesome! I will give it a shot and report back.

Groto

Apr 26, 2021
@fohdeesha thanks for the response. I read through the whole thread again last night and realized my issue was probably because I’m using a custom home server that has this Dell card in it. As far as I know I don’t have those bio settings but my problem is probably because I don’t have it in an actual Dell Server. Was a work around ever found for that? I don’t have access to a Dell server. Thanks
@fohdeesha I tried with the latest images and get the same error. I am flashing from a custom home built PC with an Asus motherboard from about 2006. It says no LSI sas adapters found limited command set available. This happens when trying to use the setsas command after all of the flashing is completed successfully. Any ideas?

BlueSandbox

Jul 22, 2021
I redid it a few times and eventually it worked, I think you just have to get the error to happen on the first wipe and not the second.
also the raid controller no longer shows up in bios.