Guidance on building home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Matthew Snell

Jan 16, 2020
We're looking to build a home server to be used for, steam web cache, file server (local and internet) and ripping and hosting Blu-ray's.

The hardware we're thinking about at the moment is: CPU: athlon 3000g Ram: 2*4gb ddr4 Storage: 10*600gb 15k sas + 120gb ssd Motherboard: Asus b450m micro ATX am4 Raid card: adeptec asr-71605

I have a few questions...

Firstly, does that hardware list look suitable for what we need to do. Do we need a more powerful CPU?

Also I'm considering creating a virtual machine for the steam web cache to separate it from the file server. Is this a good idea? Do I need to buy another network card for it? How would that work with the Raid card?

Is there also any safe way to port forward so we can access the file server over the internet?

Sorry that there's so many questions.

I would appreciate any guidance and opinions

Thanks

Last edited:

chaoscontrol

Aug 15, 2019
We're looking to build a home server to be used for, steam web cache, file server (local and internet) and ripping and hosting Blu-ray's.

The hardware we're thinking about at the moment is: CPU: athlon 3000g Ram: 2*4gb ddr4 Storage: 10*600gb 15k sas + 120gb sad Motherboard: Asus b450m micro ATX am4 Raid card: adeptec asr-71605

I have a few questions...

Firstly, does that hardware list look suitable for what we need to do. Do we need a more powerful CPU?
CPU is a bit weak but should work if you don't do all those things at the same time.
Also I'm considering creating a virtual machine for the steam web cache to separate it from the file server. Is this a good idea? Do I need to buy another network card for it? How would that work with the Raid card?
I'd create a VM for both and create virtual network adapters on both VM's. You dont need more than 1 network adapter for this. Also you can then manage the storage on the hypervisor level (with the raid card if preferred).
Is there also any safe way to port forward so we can access the file server over the internet?
No! Use VPN at least.
Sorry that there's so many questions.
Np but others might have better advice. These are just my 2c.

Reactions: Matthew Snell

Matthew Snell

Jan 16, 2020
Do you have them already?
If not get sata or nearline sas hdds with more storage; that's cheaper and still fast enough for (remuxed/untouched) blurays.
We already have the sas drives

Also you can then manage the storage on the hypervisor level (with the raid card if preferred).
Would I just create a virtual disk for each of the machines?

Last edited: