GSLB like tool for soho (for availability)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
We use GSLBs at work to distribute workload status between different boxes which are not clustered based on status port's.

I wondered whether I could replicate that behavior at home (for free o/c;)) for some of my services at home (file shares, audio, video).

Example -
I have 2 FreeNas boxes (fn1,fn2) which have replication enabled to keep files in sync. Both have their own name & ip.
Instead of having to enable the non technicians in the family to use either or name/ip it would be great to have just a video.domain kind of name that points to the primary or secondary box.

I know I could do that by changing dns entries but that's too much effort to cover a simple reboot or unexpected short downtime...

So anything like GSLB that I could use?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
What would be the funciton to look for? I run Sophos UTM atm but have not really found the fitting option...

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
We use GSLBs at work to distribute workload status between different boxes which are not clustered based on status port's.

I wondered whether I could replicate that behavior at home (for free o/c;)) for some of my services at home (file shares, audio, video).

Example -
I have 2 FreeNas boxes (fn1,fn2) which have replication enabled to keep files in sync. Both have their own name & ip.
Instead of having to enable the non technicians in the family to use either or name/ip it would be great to have just a video.domain kind of name that points to the primary or secondary box.

I know I could do that by changing dns entries but that's too much effort to cover a simple reboot or unexpected short downtime...

So anything like GSLB that I could use?
Hint, some license feature are transferrable...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have no access to the GSLB licenses if you mean that;) Else no clue what you are talking about:p

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
I have no access to the GSLB licenses if you mean that;) Else no clue what you are talking about:p
Some feature license such as GSLB is based on host name apply to both VPX and MPX

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok, I am GSLB user only, no clue about the tech behind it;)

I see VPX/MPX are likely the underlying tech. I assume based on your hint one is cheaper /better available than the other but else I don't get it yet...

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Ok, I am GSLB user only, no clue about the tech behind it;)

I see VPX/MPX are likely the underlying tech. I assume based on your hint one is cheaper /better available than the other but else I don't get it yet...
VPX express is free.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok, still looking, VPX express unfortunately does not have GSLB included.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If it's a VM I can move it, then it's not an issue. FreeNas hard drives don't do vmotion so well ;)

Thanks, I will have a look

Edit: Looks promising, don't like the Call Home function but at least they are honest about it and describe what they send. I hope its true and not only a part;)

Last edited: