Group deal - Great Pricing for C6100 & C6220

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Any cheap processor options for the C6220? Do the IB mezz cards work in them too? I think I want one but I would rather wait until Patrick or someone tries and figures out the gotchas, or at least validates for us that these basically work. I would also want to get an idea of power draw and if they are 3.5" or 2.5" versions.

The C6100's have thousands of data points on these forums. I use that main reference post all the time.
I see the IB Mezz cards listed as working for both C6100 and C6220 so would expect them to be cross compatible. The mezz cards seem to have dired up on EBay for some reason but the 10GbE cards are still being listed and are listed as C6100 and C6220 compatible.

RB

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK will take the action item to reach out to a few vendors tomorrow.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
OK will take the action item to reach out to a few vendors tomorrow.
Cool.

Seeing the interest, maybe see what pricing they will give for lots of 10, 20 and 50 units. Will also probably need to see how long the quote is valid for as well with the current price instability.

Thanks for taking the time. We all know you are very busy.

RB

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
All,

Sorry I don't get to look up here all that often...
I am located in New Jersey and this would be where the unit would ship from (No drop shipping from supplier.).

Both the C6100 and C6220's are 4 node units.
(1) 12 Drive Chassis
(1) Power Supply
(4) Nodes (Bare bone, no CPU's, Memory or heat sinks.)
(1) Set of Rack Rails
I believe the units have blanks (Not Drive Carriers.) in all bays. I will get with my supplier and verify.
What comes in the box from the Dell factory is what you will receive!

I would ask anyone that wants to purchase a unit to please PM me.
I will track it an try to post it to this thread weekly.
With regards to the systems being able to be warranted, I would say that is a grey area. The reason I say this is that while the units are new if you populate them with used CPU's, Memory, etc. that would void any warrantee.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
I will be reaching out to my vendor on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday in the USA.) to get answers to your questions and post to the thread.
Until the minimum order quantity is met I cannot order a single unit.

Here is a tally of the person(s) requesting units.
If you would like to be added to the list copy the below section and add yourself to the list for the model you want.

Dell PowerEdge C6100 or C6220 Configuration:
(1) 12 Bay Chassis
(1) Power Supply
(4) BareBone Carriers/Nodes (No CPU's, Memory or Heatsinks.)
(1) Rail Set
(I will verify that the units come populated with Blanks in all 12 bays)
***Units will arrive in original packaging, with all content shipped from Dell!***

Dell PowerEdge C6100 [$575.00 per unit, 79 handling fee, and Shipping to your door @ cost] :
-

Dell PowerEdge C6220 [$1250.00 per unit, 79 handling fee, and Shipping to your door @ cost] :
- 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM: RimBlock

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
What happens if something goes wrong WScott66?

If these are DCS models I would kinda rather see if Patrick can get configured ones even if they are used. Used just means they probably didn't die during burn-in and at least if we get from one of the bigger resellers they just send you new parts.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
I tend to agree with oBasel. Additionally, those prices are not bad, but a bit high without processors and RAM. I paid $800 with 8 Xeon L5520s and 96gb of ram included.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So I think we can get the C6220's from THESERVERSTORE/ MET International for $1200 without 10GbE mezzanine cards. ( here is the listing with the cards) They would have redundant power supplies 8 heatsinks and 4 drive trays. Basically $50 off the above (not counting shipping), plus a second PSU, four drive trays and 8x heatsinks.

I cannot even find the heatsinks on ebay so that may be a big one. Big difference is that they are not brand new in box.

The big question is whether people are waiting for me to get one, tear it apart and report out before they go for the C6220. Because then I just need to find $1200 + processors :)

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I am interested in 1-2 C6220's.

Value wise, I'm OK with the used deal. That is a few hundred less once you buy all that extra stuff.

I would be more confident if there was a big C6220 thread like we have for the C6100.

hd2012

Jan 18, 2014
The big question is whether people are waiting for me to get one, tear it apart and report out before they go for the C6220. Because then I just need to find $1200 + processors :)
I must admit that this scenario would be nice.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
Just a quick note regarding the other C6220 and C6100 offer, the one which "includes the warranty". Someone please enlighten me because so far it sounds ridiculous.

Does it not technically NOT have warranty? (double negatives ftw!)

If the servers are barebone and have warranty, but the warranty is voided as soon as you populate it with stuff (CPU, RAM, etc) that is essential to make it usable/work (or even TEST it!), then it DOES NOT have warranty.

Put another way: I can buy a car with a 3-year warranty, it can get dropped off at my house, but the moment I do ANYTHING other than leave it on my driveway, I lose the warranty: Effectively, there is no warranty.

WTF?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well... in the US the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act should provide some cover even once you populated it so long as you are using it as intended. The parts you add of course would not be covered.

Disclaimer: I do have a JD but this is not a legal opinion. You should seek advice of licensed legal counsel in your jurisdiction to understand legal implications of decisions you make.

I do prefer going the used route slightly since at least you get a 30 day warranty. If a fan breaks it is not that hard to get a replacement.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
WScott66,

Are you sure that these do not include heatsinks? Almost all "barebones" servers include heatsinks and, in the case of the c6220, not having them is probably a deal-killer since there does not seem to be a good supply of them on eBay. Fingers crossed that they are included.

All,

Sorry I don't get to look up here all that often...
I am located in New Jersey and this would be where the unit would ship from (No drop shipping from supplier.).

Both the C6100 and C6220's are 4 node units.
(1) 12 Drive Chassis
(1) Power Supply
(4) Nodes (Bare bone, no CPU's, Memory or heat sinks.)
(1) Set of Rack Rails
I believe the units have blanks (Not Drive Carriers.) in all bays. I will get with my supplier and verify.
What comes in the box from the Dell factory is what you will receive!

I would ask anyone that wants to purchase a unit to please PM me.
I will track it an try to post it to this thread weekly.
With regards to the systems being able to be warranted, I would say that is a grey area. The reason I say this is that while the units are new if you populate them with used CPU's, Memory, etc. that would void any warrantee.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
Well... in the US the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act should provide some cover even once you populated it so long as you are using it as intended. The parts you add of course would not be covered.

Disclaimer: I do have a JD but this is not a legal opinion. You should seek advice of licensed legal counsel in your jurisdiction to understand legal implications of decisions you make.

I do prefer going the used route slightly since at least you get a 30 day warranty. If a fan breaks it is not that hard to get a replacement.
I think it shows that the other option's included warranty may be a trivial difference and eventually it leaves a wide margin for being denied a warranty claim.

Considering the US warranty act would not help me, I would go the used route as well :)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Quick question, these only take the E5-26xx chips, not the V2 chips correct? I noticed on Dell's site that they have the C6220 II that explicitly lists the v2s (and faster RAM).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If you can get the bios upgrade they should support E5-26xx v2. There are no socket changes and the chipsets are the same. Dell may not support it but it should work fine.

Of course, YMMV.