Great place for (ES) CPU's on Ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I got my Core i5-3450T from here.

He's got a ton of Engineering Samples and other CPUs for way less than retail.

dinsdale_rd

Cheap shipping too, if only my money tree would bare more fruit :)

I guess one just has to take a chance, with such low pricing you can't be too worried about a warranty?

I assume one couldn't send these back to Intel in case of a failure?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
No there would be more questions than answers if you did that.

The i5-3450T is working well
My X3470 I've had for 2 years now still chugs along its also an ES chip.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I would be cautious with the E5's as the desktop counterparts had that vt-d bug. If you don't use it that's fine but if you buy it to go on virtualisation duty...

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
There are some B0 stepping E5 quads on there that looked enticing. Anyone remember what stepping got the vt-d fix?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
First off, buying engineering samples is not good practice even though those are excellent deals as they are technically Intel property. Second, I would be a bit careful as the equivalent processors are about 100MHz off. The 100MHz off versions are earlier spins.

Also, did see the E5-4xxx chips for $850 each. Drool!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You takes your chances, huge savings......but........

I have done well over the years with ES versions, do you home work, let the buyer beware.
I can only spend my hard earned $$ once, I need to make the most of the little I have :)

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
And he has 4 of the E5-4xxx. *Only* $1600 for the SuperMicro X9QR7-TF+ on amazon or $2400 for the SYS-8027R-7RFT+.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
First off, buying engineering samples is not good practice even though those are excellent deals as they are technically Intel property. Second, I would be a bit careful as the equivalent processors are about 100MHz off. The 100MHz off versions are earlier spins.

Also, did see the E5-4xxx chips for $850 each. Drool!
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between this

from Intel: http://intel.ly/Me7FHa

vs

from dinsdale_rd: http://bit.ly/Me7PhP

I want to make sure I'm reading correctly & not just getting excited

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
One is legally the property of Intel and theoretically shouldn't be sold, and is a pre-release stepping so it may not work as expected - I would check up on whether VT-D is functional in C0 stepping, as there were errors in the implementation of that which prevented its use in C1 stepping that were fixed in C2... I think from memory they were also present in C0 stepping but I don't recall.

If a) VT-D works or b) you don't care about VT-D or the technicalities/potential legalities of ES (engineering sample) CPUs and are prepared to take the (probably small) risk that it won't be stable then it's a lot cheaper than the release CPU. No warranty on ES CPUs, either, since you shouldn't have one :)

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between this

from Intel: http://intel.ly/Me7FHa

vs

from dinsdale_rd: http://bit.ly/Me7PhP

I want to make sure I'm reading correctly & not just getting excited

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
It is also worth mentioning that ES cpus may not work with some BIOS versions. I know there were some ES 1366 chips that would not work on anything but the first or a modded supermicro BIOS.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Good point re: the BIOS - after a quick google it seems that the same is the case for the Sandy Bridge-E ES chips, in that some of the B0/B1 ES chips just won't work with the currently-available BIOS'.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Chances are an older stepping will be recognised in a newer BIOS version.

My Mobo came with BIOS v1.10 and even the newer v1.20 still does not support the i5-3450T as per CPU support chart.
But I'm happliy watching TV on the highly improvised HTPC with the i5-3450T, the BIOS recognises it as the correct CPU, CPUz reports everything that's it's supposed to support is enabled.

A BIOS would have to exclude a certain stepping for it not to work.
All OEMs get ES samples to make their BIOS's from and Intel send the stepping/microcode listings to the OEMs.
It would be very unlikely that a CPU would not work, unlikely but still possible.

It could very well be that certain things may not work on the CPU.
It's all a risk, I've yet to be stung, but one day I might, but do you homework, let Google be your friend.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
The supermicro example I mentioned, ES stepping were taken out of the newer released BIOS'. For the socket 2011 Xeons, C1+ steppings were released for sale, so I dont think anyone would have a problem with them, but watch out for the B0 steppings.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am trying to find low cost E5-2400 CPUs but those are not so plentiful on ebay as nobody is selling anything but new chips.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I see that... Even the 2403's and 07's are marked up to full "Intel retail" pricing...

I assume demand is lower (for now) and, as such, pricing is not as flexible yet?

awedio

Feb 24, 2012