Great Deals sub section

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
So I see a lot of older threads being bumped in the "Great Deals" section. People still talking about the item long after the sale, or at least it being a good deal is over.

Now this is in fact a great thing, as those threads often end up becoming very helpful about a specific product/item and have lots of people helping each other, giving advice, showing builds and so on.

All that made me think that having a section under "Sales, Deals, and Trades" where mods could retire/move old "Great Deals" to, once the deal is over.
This could not just help keeping "Great Deals" more current to look through. But also help not to scare people off getting involved in one of the good threads, that spawned from a Great Deal post. Since they might not want to bump an older thread, making others think the Deal is still active or back on, when its not.

It would also be a lot less work for mods, than if they were to archive older threads by moving them into more specific sections like fx. "Processors and Motherboards". Once they become a product thread and a no longer an active Deal thread.

I’ll end by saying I really enjoy the STH site and the community the forum has grown over the years.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Not a bad idea actually.

Similar to how Slickdeals does it. They have a "Hot Deals" section and then a "Deal Talk" section where the threads from Hot Deals end up after the deal has expired.

The challenge is...most of the stuff posted here on STH is not a coupon or similar, which has a well defined expiration date. Most of the time, it is multiple items that are available at the time of posting of the "Great Deal". However, those items may sell out...only to reappear in a few days...or from a different seller or many different variations thereof.

It's gonna be quite challenging to keep up with that.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Well that is more work because right now we don't do any moving ;) on Great Deals, but I think in the past have closed some down or asked people to make a new 'chat' thread.

Ideally, anyone wanting to chat about a great deal item should start a new thread on it in the correct sub-forum, if everyone could do this and police themselves would be the most ideal situation for us all :D

A custom forum modification (time\$) would be another option to auto-create the correct thread

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Yes, starting a new thread in the correct sub forum would be the ideal. But sometimes you get Great Deal threads with 10+ pages of good content. Which I feel will have a small chance of being brought over to a brand new thread.

But a simple time limit on threads, might get a similar result in the end. Where threads will get archived/marked, when they are unlikely to be active deals any more.

Or if the original poster when making the thread, had to choose which other sub forum it will go to when a limit is reached. Then it would only be if the deal comes back. But for most of the ebay finds that doesn't seem as likely as with the say amazon deals. But those often get new threads anyway.