Great deal on Supermicro 4028GR-TR2 AI machine learning

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
I found this great deal below. I was wondering which cpu's (afforable) to run this unit. Thanks!

$2700 for a barebones machine? No CPUs, No Disks, NO GPUS???? Just a motherboard in a box?

What's the attraction?

Reactions: Samir

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Yea, I'm not seeing this as a great deal at all.
I mean, if it came with the 8x GPUs, I could see it... but as is?

disclosure: I just bought a (different) 4U server from the seller. Price was ok, but it was supposed to arrive yesterday per ebay when I bought it. It got shipped yesterday and will be here Monday (WTH???). They also rejected my (lower) offers and said take the final offer because they were going to raise the S&H -- which they did from $90 to $250! Maybe the high price covers the "free shipping"...

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I mean, if it came with the 8x GPUs, I could see it... but as is?

disclosure: I just bought a (different) 4U server from the seller. Price was ok, but it was supposed to arrive yesterday per ebay when I bought it. It got shipped yesterday and will be here Monday (WTH???). They also rejected my (lower) offers and said take the final offer because they were going to raise the S&H -- which they did from $90 to $250! Maybe the high price covers the "free shipping"...
Shipping times are longer all over the place so I wouldnt put that 100% on the seller. I've seen so many packages moving so slowly. These are just the times we are living in right now.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
The purchase was completed on Monday 5/4 with expected delivery Wednesday 5/13 (San Jose to Phoenix via FedEx). It was picked up at 4:52pm on 5/14 per the tracking number and just got an email a few minutes ago saying estimated delivery of Monday 5/18.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Shipping times are longer all over the place so I wouldnt put that 100% on the seller. I've seen so many packages moving so slowly. These are just the times we are living in right now.
UPS suspended their delivery guarantees and I'm sure other companies have followed suit. I can understand the overload, but to a certain extent I expect them to milk this as long as they can. :rolleyes:

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Yeah, my issue isn't so much with Fedex; they picked up Thursday and said they'd have it here Monday (and their timestamp literally came minutes after their reported pickup as noted above). That seems reasonable to me and if they're a few days late given the suspension of delivery guarantees, that falls in line with what Samir mentioned above.

My gripe is more the 10 days wait between taking my money and getting the package out the door -- that seems to be strictly on their end. If you were to purchase something from a member on the STH forums and they took your money, gave you a tracking number and it showed that they didn't bother to drop it off at (insert delivery method of choice here) for 10 days and not communicate anything, I think you might be a bit (insert non-positive feeling here)...

I also had a five day weekend from work coinciding with the original delivery date -- plenty of time to play with the new toy. Being front line in a hospital doesn't afford me those opportunities often. The last time I had five consecutive days off was September and I arranged that nearly three months in advance.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
I apologize to my fellow forum mates -- this is getting off topic.
Let's keep focusing on the great deals!

Samir: BRING 'EM ON!!!! (drum roll) ;)