Grease in peripheral slots?! Who would do such a thing??!!! Board hosed?!?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Dude,

So I bought this server by some people that admittedly said they knew nothing about it. It was advertised as a motherboard, but they said it came with everything. So I ordered it, curious about what I might find.

When I get it, I open it up and look at one of the slots and I notice this shiny substance that's in ALL of the empty slots. It looks like Vaseline or something. I touched some of it, and sure enough, it's some kind of greasy lubricant

Is that some kind of thing I just don't know about? I really hope this whole board isn't ruined. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm overreacting and people do this for some odd reason, and it hasn't hosed the whole board.

Not holding my breath, though...

Attachments

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I have only ever seen vaseline on motherboards used for extreme overclocking. It protects components from condensation with sub-ambient cooling. But you usually don't get it into PCIe slots. That's just weird.

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
omg so I guess if it's dialectic grease, it should be OK

This guy on youtube has put it in all sorts of shit, I've seen two videos so far where he's put it in memory and cpu slots

He definitely wins the award for weirdest youtube sponsors

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Use Liqui moly rapid cleaner #3318 to remove the mess.)) Nothing to worry about, non-conductive grease could do no harm.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
If you remove all sources of power (bios battery), you can run a motherboard through a car wash. As long as it is clean and dry when power is applied, no issues. I would avoid the dish washer as the chemicals in the detergent can oxadize the heck out of some metals.
Some spray cans of that cheap de-greaser from an auto parts store would clean that up 100%

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
It is mentioned in the video that dishwasher cleaning agents are not recommended. He ran his components without it.
What kind of car wash do you have in mind?

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I poked at it with a couple q-tips, which did basically no good, so I finally grit my teeth and shoved a few PCIe cards in and turned it on

Looks like it's working just fine... going to be gross if I ever take the cards out, though

Update: I ran it overnight after putting the cards in it, it seems to be OK to have that grease in there.

I'll never look an electrical engineer straight in the face again.

Attachments

Reactions: nnunn