GPUs in SC846?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Thinking about getting rid of my desktop case and using my SC846 chassis for my main PC. The only thing stopping me is the lack of GPU power in the SC846. Does anyone know if you can swap in the power distributor for the SC747 into the SC846? Part # PDB-PT747-4648 .

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Hrm... Are the SC846 PSUs single-rail? I'd be looking at an SLI setup, so that'd be a lot of juice to come over a single molex line, but it might work?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Just FYI but Single vs multiple rail is independent of the number of physical power connectors on a powersupply.

If the SC846 has enough independent physical connectors (generally using <=150W per 12V lead set is typical, this is enough for a GPU single 8 pin or two 6 pins assuming adapters) and you are within the total power limit then it is fine. To clarify this is per each set of wires that run all the way from the PSU housing, not multiple molex plugs spread across the same wires.

YMMV with shitty underpowered PSUs with thin gauge wires but typically supermicro uses good PSUs in its servers.

I have several high wattage single-rail powersupplies designed to handle 2/3/4 video cards without issue, I prefer single rail designs in my builds and most enthusiast models are these days.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Just FYI but Single vs multiple rail is independent of the number of physical power connectors on a powersupply.
Yeah, my thinking was that there's only a single extra Molex connector in the entire chassis... I'd need to run a Molex splitter, then a pair of Molex-to-GPU converters. Whole lotta juice over some skinny wires.