GPU Rackmount Chassis Suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm speccing out a VM server that's going to have a few GPUs. I was thinking an ASRock EPYCD8-2T, an Epyc 7452, and some GPUs I have lying around (currently a MSI RTX 2080, Quadro P400, and a Quadro P2000).

Anyone have any recommendations for a case? I don't need ANY drive bays so it can be short depth (I guess that would be preferable?). I assume I'd need 4U to support the video cards?

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Woah interesting suggestion. How do these cases work? Is there a ribbon cable to connect the GPU to the PCI slot? Is there room to plugin headless Displayport/HDMI dongles into the GPUs (I'll have to do this to trick the VM into thinking the GPU is connected to a display) given that the GPU is entirely internal to the case?

I loved my last Nanoxia case :)

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
please, dont use quadro and rtx in the same machine. nvidia drivers are conflicting each other.

i had quadro p6000 with rtx 2080 ti. windows 10 recognizes both cards, but when you put a load on cards, then problems. my experience...afterall i sold my quadro

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Woah interesting suggestion. How do these cases work? Is there a ribbon cable to connect the GPU to the PCI slot? Is there room to plugin headless Displayport/HDMI dongles into the GPUs (I'll have to do this to trick the VM into thinking the GPU is connected to a display) given that the GPU is entirely internal to the case?

I loved my last Nanoxia case :)
It depends on the exact model, some are direct plug some use pcie risers, there's quite a few 3u and 4u cases that allow for multiple(4+) full height cards, here's one from Chenbro I've used recently as well that's direct plug.

CHENBRO RM42300-F Server Case - Newegg.com

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
please, dont use quadro and rtx in the same machine. nvidia drivers are conflicting each other.

i had quadro p6000 with rtx 2080 ti. windows 10 recognizes both cards, but when you put a load on cards, then problems. my experience...afterall i sold my quadro
I don't think he's using them that way, I think he's passing the cards through to virtual machines separately.

Reactions: altano

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Rosewill also has offerings for mining chassis that supports multiple GPU setup. @Klee did a post on the build/review a while back.

Yep that was a 4u case that could hold six 2 1/2 slot sized RX580's via 1X pcie risers.

Thats for mining and I really don't think those risers would work for gpu pass through very well if at all.

Last edited:

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Yep that was a $u case that could hold six 2 1/2 slot sized RX580's via 1X pcie risers.

Thats for mining and I really don't think those risers would work for gpu pass through very well if at all.
1x risers are only good for mining due to the way it works, 16x risers are full bandwith though and can be used for general purpose tasks.