GPU passthrough issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Not that I am aware of. As I recall all I did was simply setup passthrough and add the 480 to the VM. Its a windows 10 VM if that matters.
Hmm...I've tried all sorts of configurations today and I can't get it working :(

Vmware 6.5, 6.0U2, 6.0U1
Windows 10/8/7 hosts in both 64 and 32 bit variants
Vsphere client vs web client - there is a bug in the 6.0 web interface that does not handle PCI devices well

I think I might have to try a different brand card and see if that helps.
Or it might be the motherboard...which would be unfortunate

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
Hmm...I've tried all sorts of configurations today and I can't get it working :(

Vmware 6.5, 6.0U2, 6.0U1
Windows 10/8/7 hosts in both 64 and 32 bit variants
Vsphere client vs web client - there is a bug in the 6.0 web interface that does not handle PCI devices well

I think I might have to try a different brand card and see if that helps.
Or it might be the motherboard...which would be unfortunate
Do you have another machine you can throw the card into and try ESX on? That would at least narrow it down to the current hardware being a problem.

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015
Just to add a data point -

It's been a few years, but the notes above about AMD cards (vs nvidia) for passthrough and the pcihole settings are the same as my experience. Last run was actually when 7970's were new, and I was able to pass-through everything including HDMI audio, multiple display outputs, and a usb controller to sim a full desktop experience, and actually had more than 1 VM with respective dedicated GPUs in the same physical box. IIRC, this would've been ~5.0U2, and had it in use upgrade to 5.5, so how 6.0 plays I can't speak to.

However, any and all attempts with nvidia were highly unsuccessful for me (and any others I was aware of at the time) across multiple generations of cards; I haven't heard of them getting much friendlier since, but have not followed with the same interest either lately.