GPU for Intel R2312GL4GS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hello,

As i don't game at all i'm not so much into the whole GPU-thing anymore, so please forgive my noobiness with this :rolleyes:

Anyone using these 2u Intel with a GPU ?
I'm considering GTX 1070 or maybe also GTX 970 (need to ask what exact model) i can get from a buddy.

Intended usage is Tensorflow, retraining the final layer of the inception v3 model and maybe also building the model from scratch with my own image set. Also bit's of mining when idle / no ML Task is running would be nice.

I just wonder if/what type of GPU fits physically in the horizontal pcie x8 slots of the chassis, if it's possible to power a GPU and if it's not too much heat for the whole system.

Thanks,
Alex

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
Intel makes an accessory kit called the AGZCOPRODUCT that provides an accessory air duct for up to 300 watt GPUs 2 Riser Cards to install them on. The issue is that it's only "supported" with 24 DIMM models, and you have a 16 DIMM board. Additionally, they only validate it with 8 HDD, not 12 HDD.

The above all stated, I don't see any reason why the duct wouldn't necessarily fit on the 16 DIMM boards. The above appears more to do with validation that there would be an expected amount of airflow, and it's also designed for working with passive GPUs. Since you're using actively cooled double slot GPUs, and the 1070 only draws about 200 watts, it shouldn't be a problem to run the system on 1 750 watt power supply.

Reactions: _alex

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Intel makes an accessory kit called the AGZCOPRODUCT that provides an accessory air duct for up to 300 watt GPUs 2 Riser Cards to install them on.
Wow, thanks - i absolutely wasn't aware that such a thing exists. Also, there are power cables and x16 risers, so even if the duct doesn't fit the 16x DIMM board it's answers the other points i was concerned.
Quick search returned that it might be a little challenge getting one, especially in EU.

The system has dual PSU, and will run in a controlled climate (colo).

Alex

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
GTX 1070 over 970 if you can get them at the right price with mining driving up prices. If it's the same price, get the GTX 1080. Better all around.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
GTX 1070 over 970 if you can get them at the right price with mining driving up prices. If it's the same price, get the GTX 1080. Better all around.
Well, i have the feeling that the right price for pascal GPU won't happen soon :(

Obviously peeople get crazy with mining, currently there is a major shortage in GPU's reaching european distributors, too.

So, i might go with the 970 from my buddy for a test-run and see if i need more GPU power at all - and if so, maybe pricing and availability went back to normal while testing.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You should start with measuring the physical space available to you - that might rule out a large number of cards (depth and length especially).
Also cooler location/airflow direction will be an issue - GTX Founder edition's might be an option then (backplate airflow output)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Think i'll give up on AGZCOPRODUCT, looks like availability is really bad (USD 100+ when still in stock somewhere, nothing used) :(
But getting a single A2UL16RISER (Riser 1x x16, 1x x8) from kalleyomalley would give x16 pcie + power-cabling.

Putting this riser + GPU on the left side looks less critical regarding temps than on the right, and there sould also be more physical space.

The only other PCIe card in the system will be a LSI 2308 8i, that i'd put on the right Riser with 3x x8 then.

Regarding the GPU i tend to keep costs at a reasonable level, this is mainly to give this DR/Backup-Unit a meaning in the time it would otherwise idle and having the possibility to do some CUDA / ML 'for fun' with an uncertain outcome.

So i maybe just try the 970 if it fit's and do a burn-in over 48h under full load in a non climate-controlled environment. Then see if it's necessary to put some effort on changing airflow with a self-made duct or whatever.

Last edited:

Xoid

Nov 14, 2018
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking for a GPU for my Intel R2312WTTYS, which is almost exactly the same chassis you have. What GPU did you end up getting, if any? It seems pretty difficult to find a modern-ish consumer grade card with rear-facing power inputs and blower fan design.

I've had the A2UL16RISER2 on my Ebay alerts for a while but was waiting to grab a compatible GPU first.