Got a TrueNAS VM set up with HDDs mapped raw, it's working well but anything I should worry about?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
First I initially wanted to pass through the whole HBA but then I couldn't boot TrueNAS if I did that. I ended up just passing each disk one at a time. The performance is great, the scrubs and smart tasks are working fine, but there are two little quirks that I've noticed. One quirk is that the HDDs are not hot-swappable anymore, I'd have to reboot the VM if I remove the drive, no big deal for my use case. The 2nd quirk is that when power goes out, I have to rescan the network interfaces for my iSCSi share to show up again, not sure what that's all about but it does end up working albeit I have to tinker with it manually.

Besides that, everything seems to work great but I'm not sure if I'm getting ahead of myself and if there's anything else I should look out for?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
I did that for a few years before getting a HBA. All drives shows up fine when plugged into the HBA and passthru without issues.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is my understanding that mapping drives (with the likes of RDM on ESXi) is not recommended for ZFS.
Here is a thread on the Truenas forum mentioning this: ESXi and RDM?

I know you mentioned that your Truenas wouldn't boot if the controller was passed through to it, this sounds fixable, after all truenas in a VM with a passthroughed controller is common configuration that many people use.

Reactions: mathiastro

986box

Oct 14, 2017
This is how I setup TruNas. HBA passthru but TruNas boot disk is served from vm disk and not off the HBA.

Reactions: mathiastro

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
Hmm, seems my iSCSI issue was because I had to tinker with the target. I guess dynamically it couldn't catch it in time or something