Got a dell r720 server -now what?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
So i was able to get a nice dell r720 server off local CL ad yesterday for ultra cheap.
Specs as follows:
1x e5-2630v2 CPU
32GB Ram (4x8gb).
8 x 2.5 chassis.
4 port 1GB intel i-350 daughter card
4 port 1GB intel i-350 add-on card
Idrac 7 enterprise
internal perc 310 raid card
dual 495watt psu

It super quiet and power is crazy low. Idles at 70 watts. super easy to update bios using life management tool. Overall an awesome server. Plus i have potential to get some more memory/cpu on the cheap for it.

So here is the problem, i dont know what i want to do with it lol.

I currently have the following homen setup:
1. Intel server with 2 x E5-2670 and 128GB Ram.
Intel S2600CP w/ Intel P4000 Case
2. Smaller SM server based on SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O and Intel® Xeon® E3-1265L v3 with 32GB Ram.
3. HTPC converted over to 3rd node running htpc with gpu passthrough.

The dual intel is my dev/work box. The SM is running home prod vms (sophos, ws2012r2, game server, Vcenter). The HTPC is connected to tv and might be used to run a SteamOS VM with GPU pass though or as a 3rd backup location.

The r720 is over kill, but i like it. :)

So im thinking i can either sell it for a profit or trade for other hardware. IE upgrade the intel box. (more ram/better cpu, storage).

Or replace the SM server and upgrade the r720 as needed over time. Only issue is I use the SM server to hold 2 3.5 WD Red drives for my home files and backups which wont fit into the new r720 due to chassis.

IDK if keeping everything is reasonable (not sure of WAF)

Thoughts?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
So I found a CL ad that has 8GB ram (m393b1k70chd-ch9) which he offered 24 qty for 200. Is 200 considered a good deal or should i keep searching? Seems like re-sellers are showing up all over the area from me.

Any ideas on converting over the SM server to a FreeNas box? It already has built in LSI in IT mode and can hold 8x3.5 hdds and 2 x ssd. It also has intel 4 port nic. Not sure how i feel about putting all my data on one box and sharing it to OS via network. IE WS2012R2 box, i rather the data be separated from my other content. I can always move WS2012 VM to the intel and put the WD drives into the 3.5 cage and move FreeNas VM i have for linux mounts onto the new configuration. For the freeNas I can use 3 x 2TB HDD and up to 4 250 GB 850 Evo SDD drives for the pool. Will it be enough for two esxi servers accessing it to run VMs. I have maybe 10 VMs that are always used, and 20+ in various states of running while i work on projects etc.