Got a couple of questions about SM rack rails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
1. The rails in question are 27 inchers. They measure 27 inches not including the 2 hooks on each end that go into the square holes. I shoehorned them in with a screw driver but had the uncanny feeling I missed some detail. Are they supposed to be this hard to install? Is there a better way?

2. The inner rails are held on to the case by a series of square hooks in square holes. the rail is locked in by a piece of spring steel. There is also a hole for a screw. Is the screw needed of is the spring clip enough to hold it together? If the screws are needed, does anyone know the size?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For #1 - The outer rails should have a few inches of pretty easy adjustment to let you install them in the rack. If they didn't then something may have been jamming them up from sliding properly (there are a few posts w/caps that fit in keyhole slots in the 2 parts of the outer rails iirc).

I have had issues in the past where the verticals in the rack were set too far apart or too close and had to adjust the back set of vertical rails on the rack to allow the majority of my equipment to fit into place without hassle.

Once you did get it in the rack does the server slid freely at least?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Haven't slid the server in yet. want to make sure about the screw.

Once I got the rails in the fir was perfect, not too tight and not too loose. But it was a struggle getting them in. A little bit of cussing helped.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For #2 - The screw shouldn't be needed, I use just the spring clip on the 1U and 2U servers I have with those rails.

A matching screw with a flat head should be in the server box along with the bag with all the other screws. The other rails w/o the spring steel clip to keep the inner rail in place against the server use only the screws.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. Gonna slide the first one in tomorrow. I have 3 SM SC846's 3 switches and other assorted paraphernalia to load. the 3 846's are heavy beasts.