Good enterprise surveillance software

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AgentCrimson

Apr 5, 2021
I am looking for a good enterprise surveillance software to deploy on a relatively cheap second hand used server from eBay. Current setup is super jank using 2 different brand nvrs with no redundancy and no smart features. I have 32 cameras all sending h264 1080p 30fps video 24/7. I want to keep all the day for a week before rewriting all the data again. Blue iris is super inefficient for this as firstly it takes a ridiculously powerful setup to handle these many streams and secondly it cannot run in a VM. Even if I dedicate a system disregarding the second deficiency I do not want to put a new top of the line cpu to support a NVR. Please recommend any other enterprise solutions with similar feature set

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
are your cameras Onvif compliant?

I am running Shinobi and they stream fine. not an enterprise software.

Chris

Reactions: fohdeesha

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Have you tried BI 5. There is support for sub streams now which significantly reduces CPU usage and eliminates the need for HW decode. There was also a webinar recently with one guy running 64 cam BI VM's.

AgentCrimson

Apr 5, 2021
I don’t think BI is the way to go. I used their own spec guide and they recommend an i9 10th gen for my setup. And i plan to scale up in the future BI just won’t do and I don’t want to spend such good hardware on a NVR. There must be a good enterprise software which can run on an old server off eBay and I can just chuck a gt1030 class gpu at it and call it a day. Someone suggested milestone but before biting the bullet on that I want to make sure that my hikvision cameras are compatible with that.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Depends on how far you are scaling out. Past 64 cams and you would end up with multiple servers. The spec guide is useless. I have about 2/3 of the camera MP you list at 10 fps on a 8700k recording 24/7 and am around 8% on the CPU. I was virtualized on a 2697 V2 before substreams came out and had no issues.

Specing a used server from ebay makes me think you want to reduce cost and enterprise software tends to add up fast especially if they charge per cam. Just something to keep in mind. $60 for 64 cams is easily surpased even at $10 per cam.

Reactions: AgentCrimson

AgentCrimson

Apr 5, 2021
Yes I do not have a lot of budget, I am not looking for a subscription based software service. Milestone has like a 500$ ish lifetime subscription i believe I emailed their sales support looking for a reply. Ideally I want to spend around 2000 total.