Good choices for dedicated video capture box?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
This isn't technically a workstation but is a box for capture 720 video off the Satellite. Want to do it as cheaply as possible. Alsready have the CPU that i got an Amazon gold box deal some time ago. Ended up with two of them - one's already in service in ab ox capturing Fox News. Just never got around to using the second one.

Anyway here is my list of parts for a dedicated video capture box to grab Fox Business off my Wireless joey with My chinese Timeleak HDMI capture card.

CPU Intel 4570
Case - Corsair 750 D from the Thrift store paid 14 bucks - just misisng the HD Cage and the front panel is held with tape.
Board - ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SSD for the OS - Intel 240GB SSD DC S3500 from Ebay
PSU - EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W

Opinions, comments etc?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Does your capture card do MPEG encoding for you, or do you do an encoding pass in software as well?
If the card does all the encoding you just need a storage system that can keep up with the out of the card(s). If you are doing bulk archiving of the video, I would queue it on the SSD then move it to larger drives on an hourly basis (or however large your capture files are) so they are contiguous blocks of data vs. super fragmented across the drive.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
^^^ what he said. :)

If you are doing bulk archiving of the video, I would queue it on the SSD then move it to larger drives on an hourly basis (or however large your capture files are) so they are contiguous blocks of data vs. super fragmented across the drive.
^^^ very good advice. I would add that you get a good enterprise SSD like intel that can handle millions of writes. I've had issues with popular consumer SSDs where over time after a crapload of writes they degrade in performance very significantly. (like 15-20MB/sec kind of crap, I can download at higher speeds than I can write to the drive. hell my platter drives write faster than that lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keybored

May 28, 2016
... I've had issues with popular consumer SSDs where over time after a crapload of writes they degrade in performance very significantly. (like 15-20MB/sec kind of crap, I can download at higher speeds than I can write to the drive. hell my platter drives write faster than that lol) ...
What consumer SSDs did you have issues with? I've never heard of an SSD slowing down that much other than, of course, the Samsung 840 Evo fiasco.