Good Bitcoin roles for data scientists?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

parishy

Jun 22, 2018
Good Bitcoin roles for data scientists?

I’m wondering what sort of job I could do which combines data science and Bitcoin, or at least a job in data science which may help with adoption.

dassiq

Jul 10, 2017
Better question might be "Data scientist and BlockChain" :) nearly every industry is trying to get on the blackchain concept , even Love / match making :) its crazy

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have been using gridcoin....before you get gridcoin (or mine them by crunching WU) yoy need about 1000-2000 gridcoins in your wallet.

when you start with new and empty wallet, then forget about it. you will not get gridcoins by crunching in boinc

melk

Meet me in the wired
Nov 16, 2017
Charlotte / Atlanta
i have been using gridcoin....before you get gridcoin (or mine them by crunching WU) yoy need about 1000-2000 gridcoins in your wallet.

when you start with new and empty wallet, then forget about it. you will not get gridcoins by crunching in boinc
This is true if you want to crunch "solo" by yourself.... you do need a starting balance before you will consistently stake (claim) the rewards. However you still earn them for the crunching you do via BOINC regardless of when you stake/claim them.

In the future there will be MRC or Manual Reward Claim where you can essentially just click a button to claim your rewards at any time you like, but for now that's not the case.

If you want to get started without buying some GRC to have a beginning balance, you can instead join a Pool, where you crunch as part of the pool and rewards are regularly paid out to you based upon your contribution.

If you do wish to purchase a number of GRC, the exchange rate is very favorable at the moment, $0.003426 USD at the moment, so for instance buying 5000 for a starting balance would cost only $17

Again this is not necessary and you could simply join a Pool and begin earning right away. The Gridcoin website Gridcoin - Rewarding Scientific Distributed Computing has good information on this.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
This is true if you want to crunch "solo" by yourself.... you do need a starting balance before you will consistently stake (claim) the rewards. However you still earn them for the crunching you do via BOINC regardless of when you stake/claim them.

In the future there will be MRC or Manual Reward Claim where you can essentially just click a button to claim your rewards at any time you like, but for now that's not the case.

If you want to get started without buying some GRC to have a beginning balance, you can instead join a Pool, where you crunch as part of the pool and rewards are regularly paid out to you based upon your contribution.

If you do wish to purchase a number of GRC, the exchange rate is very favorable at the moment, $0.003426 USD at the moment, so for instance buying 5000 for a starting balance would cost only $17

Again this is not necessary and you could simply join a Pool and begin earning right away. The Gridcoin website Gridcoin - Rewarding Scientific Distributed Computing has good information on this.
i am in the biggest pool (gridcoin team) for gridcoin, running gpugrid.net with 18 gpu cards. still i can't claim gridcoin....gridcoin is for me a hoax...

melk

Meet me in the wired
Nov 16, 2017
Charlotte / Atlanta
i am in the biggest pool (gridcoin team) for gridcoin, running gpugrid.net with 18 gpu cards. still i can't claim gridcoin....gridcoin is for me a hoax...
Hmm, well something is not setup correctly. Which version of the wallet are you running? Is it unlocked for staking? Can you post a screenshot showing any error messages in the wallet? Do you mind sharing your username on gpugrid.net?

melk

Meet me in the wired
Nov 16, 2017
Charlotte / Atlanta
Also, with 18 GPU's, you would have very high Magnitude and could easily crunch Solo and not rely on the pool. Would likely be better that way.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Hmm, well something is not setup correctly. Which version of the wallet are you running? Is it unlocked for staking? Can you post a screenshot showing any error messages in the wallet? Do you mind sharing your username on gpugrid.net?
i dont use gridcoin since summer vacation, say beginning from september this year. after running gridcoin wallet for 6 months and unlocked for staking and with 18 gpu's....i came to conclussion not to use gridcoin....

erik....on gpugrid...not active since july this year

melk

Meet me in the wired
Nov 16, 2017
Charlotte / Atlanta
Ok well if you are interested in learning more the community (including several devs) are very active on Discord and can probably help you get the wallet functioning properly.

Once it's setup correctly there's very little else that needs to be done. It's basically just a fun incentive if you already crunch BOINC anyway.

b-rex

Aug 14, 2020
One thing I'm working on is trying to find arbitrage opportunities based on fluctuations in currency markets. In other words, I'm taking multiple crypto streams across accounts and trying to find discrepancies in prices. Another thing I've been looking at doing is by mining the most productive coin in a given day (i.e. which currency gives me the biggest bang for the buck day by day...and then reevaluating and trading up each day to take advantage of the best exchange rates). I'm in the early stages...not even sure if it will work but I have 8 RTX 2070s that I'm using for other projects and while those are idle for those projects, they'll be mining.