Go-to cheap 5-8 port managed switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Quick question: What's your go-to inexpensive 5-8 port managed switch? I've got a couple of $25 eBay special netgear GS105E's at home that can't switch their management interface off of vlan 1. I'm looking for something I can recommend to friends that's just a touch more sophisticated.

Pluses: Readily available on fleaBay <$50. Able to configure management interface off of vlan 1. Power efficient.

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
I got a couple of TL-SG108E 8 port switches - they are super cheap and seam to work fine. Only £30 new in UK.

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Around $30-$45 on Ebay , HP 1910-24 port switch.
$25 to $40, same HP switch with less ports.
This is perfect, these look like exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone!

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Around $30-$45 on Ebay , HP 1910-24 port switch.
$25 to $40, same HP switch with less ports.
Hey, thanks again! I've just pulled two netgear switches and a couple of PoE injectors out from under a desk and consolidated everything into one 1910-8g-poe. There's nothing amazing happening here but the switch is easy to configure and reliable, for $40 it's exactly what I was looking for! I'll definitely be filing HP's EOL switches away as a thing to use in these situations.

I'm a bit surprised by how well used HP switches hold their resale value. I went looking for a newer more feature-filled L3 switch earlier and I was surprised by how expensive they are, $200 seems to be the used price point for virtually all of the procurve PoE models. I guess I'm expecting an unreasonable level of bargain pricing after paying what I paid for my Brocade switches though.