GIGABYTE Server Motherboard - Intel C602 Chipset - Socket R LGA-2011 GA-7PESH2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
So Far its been more stable than the SM board i have too....

One thing i will mention i HATE!!!! is the fact that the RJ45 ports for the 10GBe clips face downward rather than upward.... using cables with a cover over the clip is such a PITA to deal with... Also the 10GBe X540-AT Chipset gets Flipping Hot.... u gotta has some cooling done on it to keep it from roaching me thinks...

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Got my Gigabyte replaced by RMA proces. Seems to be better now, got a AST2300 led light that goes on and then flickers on and off.
But still no boot or spinning fans ..

Seem to have lose some parts of the second cpu cooler so i can only install one. Does anyone know if it goes in the left or right socket? I thought left, but the memory setup in the manual names the right socket primary. Can someone confirm i need the one on the right?

Seems weird the lack of feedback a server board gives compared to a consumer one..

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Got my Gigabyte replaced by RMA proces. Seems to be better now, got a AST2300 led light that goes on and then flickers on and off.
But still no boot or spinning fans ..

Seem to have lose some parts of the second cpu cooler so i can only install one. Does anyone know if it goes in the left or right socket? I thought left, but the memory setup in the manual names the right socket primary. Can someone confirm i need the one on the right?

Seems weird the lack of feedback a server board gives compared to a consumer one..
Was the problem, right socket first works fine.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I have to say, worked with Gigabyte RMA twice in the past and they've been great, support as well. My hats off to their Taiwan engineering team who provided a custom beta BIOS for my X58 board to enable VT-d on a consumer board after I inquired and asked nicely :)

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Just scored another one on eBay at 225 had only two and both are gone now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Just scored another one on eBay at 225 had only two and both are gone now

It was you! I put in $220 and panicked when one sold and went $240. Oh well, still great value for the price!

To Owners - does the BMC LAN support Gigabit? It seems that the Bios has that option but manual only mentions 100mbps which is concerning if doing larger installs/transfers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
FYI - I'm sure most owners are aware of this but chalk this up on my not doing enough homework:
The main drawback of this board vs. Supermicro solutions seems to be on the PCIe side - looking at the block diagram all PCIe channels are wired to CPU0 and thus only providing 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x8 (x16 slot), 2x PCIe x4 (x8 slots) and 1x PCIe x1 (x4 slot). This in addition to the onboard SAS controller, both 10gbe lan etc all connected to a PCIev3 4x link from CPU0 to PCH makes some concerns around bandwidth when all said and done.
This is an edge case but I'm still disappointed in this design by Gigabyte essentially only using CPU1 for additional memory and leaving 40 more PCIe lanes on the table.

The board is still a great deal for the price but just want to point this out for others

Reactions: Fritz

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Eh I'm running 1 socket with esxi with 1x pcie 4x nvme 1x pcie 2.0 4x quad ether and 1x pcie 8x 3.0 infiniband 40gbe adapter and no issues.. Using the onboard 2008 as well for vsan

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Eh I'm running 1 socket with esxi with 1x pcie 4x nvme 1x pcie 2.0 4x quad ether and 1x pcie 8x 3.0 infiniband 40gbe adapter and no issues.. Using the onboard 2008 as well for vsan

Cool thanks for the insight, yea I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker but definitely something to note for those would REALLY need that bandwidth. The plus side of this config is that all features on the board work with just a single CPU (my initial config) so I can see the design logic/motivation behind the tradeoff as well

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
@DaSaint thanks for the confirmation! Curious because there's a setting listed in the manual here that seems to enable Gbt BMC:

Nevermind... I see that it's actually specifying if the BMC LAN should be the dedicate 10/100 chip or shared with one of the Gbe ports (in our case 10Gbe). Another strange why didn't they just put a 10/100/1000 Gbe chip for BMC as I've not seen 10/100 for at least last 7-8 years

Attachments

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Checked mine no issues visually on it haven't plugged it in yet. Waiting on the proc to show

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Checked mine no issues visually on it haven't plugged it in yet. Waiting on the proc to show

Yea seems like everyone else has good experience with this seller so i figured no issue. We will see how they handle the issue

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
@chinesestunna

If its any Consolation the board i got was DOA as well... it would power up for a few seconds then power off, i for even testing purposes took my other one apart CPU/Memory/HSF/PSU and got the same exact results... i am asking him for a return as well so this might have been a pre-returned batch... either way i'd be curious to see how he handled yours or if u had to hit him with Paypal Buyers Guarantee...

Even with no memory it would power up beep twice then power down.. somethings wrong with it... dunno what but something just not right.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
@chinesestunna

If its any Consolation the board i got was DOA as well... it would power up for a few seconds then power off, i for even testing purposes took my other one apart CPU/Memory/HSF/PSU and got the same exact results... i am asking him for a return as well so this might have been a pre-returned batch... either way i'd be curious to see how he handled yours or if u had to hit him with Paypal Buyers Guarantee...

Even with no memory it would power up beep twice then power down.. somethings wrong with it... dunno what but something just not right.
That sucks man, I've already done my return and overall he's been good. I sent pics with refund request with pics of damage and he gave me label 2nd day. Mailed it back and got refund the 2nd business day after he received the board.