GIGABYTE Server Motherboard - Intel C602 Chipset - Socket R LGA-2011 GA-7PESH2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
It contains a I/O shield, warranty until 2017.

@svt3391 both 8pin connectors are connected. There aren't many led on the board, but Lan ports aren't on when there is power on the board. And no reaction on power button.

Question for other owners: I do have the right manual with power pins on 11 and 13 right?

martian111

Mar 10, 2016
It contains a I/O shield, warranty until 2017.

@svt3391 both 8pin connectors are connected. There aren't many led on the board, but Lan ports aren't on when there is power on the board. And no reaction on power button.

Question for other owners: I do have the right manual with power pins on 11 and 13 right?
That sounds like the correct manual. I have the GA-7PESH1 and it shares a manual with GA-7PESH2, and those are the correct pins.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
To whomever bought from this seller (hest_vict):

How was the packaging of the item? Was it properly packaged and shipped?
If found DOA, how helpful is the seller to resolve the issue?

Looks like the same seller has more for sale. Your feedback is appreciated.

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
Package was ok, but really dented on one side. Only one box, so board not in own box within that.

I'm not sure about DOA handling. Just made it an official request yesterday, haven't heard anything but maybe that's because of the weekend.

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
When I notified him that the one I had was bad, he sent me a message within a few hours asking if I wanted a replacement. I didn't respond, and got a message about 4 hours later that I could return the motherboard for a full replacement.

He must not have any way to test them and at this point I'd say it's 50/50 on whether you'll get one that works.

Packaging was OK.

martian111

Mar 10, 2016
I purchased a GA-7PESH1 from this seller last month. It was listed as "Used", but the board looks fairly new. Packaging was fine, the MB was in its anti-static bag, which was then wrapped with pink bubble wrap inside a non-original box (as expected for used items). All CPU sockets have their protectors on them, so good there! For a "used" board, it was in great condition. Everything has tested functional with 1 CPU so far.

The only things were:
1. Due to the bubble wrap, the VGA and serial ports were slight bent inwards. That didn't cause any damage and I was able to straighten it back out. Part of the cause may just be the fact that in this MB model, there is no support bracket behind those "thin" ports. Looking at pictures for the GA-7PESH2, it seems to have a bracket that should prevent that.
2. I hesitate to mention this, but I did notice that one of the pins on the second CPU socket reflected light slightly differently (definitely not a very scientific observation though). I don't have a 2nd CPU to test it out yet, but it does NOT look damaged to me and it's probably within tolerances. I'll report back if I am wrong about this...

I have no RMA experiences to speak of for this seller...

Hope this helps!

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Got mine, no issues with it so far, running right now in my lab...

Was wondering if anyone knows what Connector SYS_FAN1 is suppose to be? Its not a typical PWM Fan Header and kind of reminds me of the GPU Fan Cooler molex but was wondering if anyone else knew...
See Page 23 - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/server_manual_7pesh_e_1003.pdf

Also if anyone wants to know i IT Firmware Flashed the onboard SAS2008 Controller using the typical erase/flash commands had no issues, used the latest v20 from Broadcom/Avago/LSI's website (Do this in DOS!)

Also before running this i always recommend doing a List of the adapter to capture the SAS Address just in case if the erase removes it for any reason its good to have (snipping tool is thy friend!)
sas2flsh -list

Erase IR firmware and Sets Adapter in Flashing mode
sas2flsh -o -e 6

Flashes IT Firmware and Bootloader Rom
sas2flsh -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Flashes EFI bootloader
sas2flsh -b x64sas2.rom

Reactions: dontwanna

Peter99

Apr 18, 2016
Does GA-7PESH2 motherboard have UEFI BIOS and does it support NVMe boot? I read the manual but it doesn't say. Can't find on Google either.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
It does have uefi capabilities unsure on the nvme boot have to reboot to see if it saw it as a boot drive

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Peter99

Apr 18, 2016
Thanks, can you please reboot and see if your NVMe drive is bootable? Do you run the latest BIOS? How is IPMI on the Gigabyte board compared to let's say Supermicro X9D series of dual LGA2011 motherboards?

Last edited:

thayerz00r

Mar 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I received mine the other day and was able to test it out. Works fine with 1x 2670 v1 and 64 gigs ram (installed windows 10 and have been playing with unraid -- both successful). Only 1 cpu slot (cpu 0) and 8pin connector were used. I didn't update the bios.

Board did look new, no fingerprints and looked like original tape on anti-static bag. Packaging was sufficient as a whole, but bubble wrap did bend the vga/serial port headers back a bit, but nothing that caused the vga to not work. Going to check the serial for warranty later.

Peter99

Apr 18, 2016
Regarding NVMe boot I found that it's supported in UEFI bios versions 2.3.1 or newer (which is appx. 2012). The latest 7pesh2 bios is R15 from May 2015. Does anyone know if the R15 has UEFI 2.3.1 (or later) version?

Peter99

Apr 18, 2016
OK, to answer my own question in case someone else googles this issue... I spotted in the GA-7PESH2 manual that there is a Secure Boot option in the BIOS. Secure Boot is a part of the UEFI since the 2.3.1 Errata C specification, which means NVMe boot is supported as well.

Reactions: chinesestunna

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I have one of these boards and I have flashed the SAS2008 controller with a range of firmware and can't get it to detect my SSD's for some reason.

I tried different SAS breakout cables, and my drives are a mix of Intel 320 and 3500 series so I'm not sure what's going on?

Any ideas on why they aren't showing up at all?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
What port did you plug into one on far right (towards the back) is the internal Intel; the middle is SAS 2008 port 1; the one on the far left (closest to the front) is the 2008 port 2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dontwanna

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I was one step of buying this board until I noticed the SAS ports are only 3Gbps :(

2 x Mini-SAS (for 8 x SAS 6Gb/s ports)
1 x Mini-SAS (for 4 x SATA II 3Gb/s ports)

Not sure where you saw SAS was 3Gbps. Maybe you saw the line for the 4 SATA II ports that use the same type of sff-8087 connector? If so you might want to reconsider.

jrdnlc

Jun 26, 2015
2 x Mini-SAS (for 8 x SAS 6Gb/s ports)
1 x Mini-SAS (for 4 x SATA II 3Gb/s ports)

Not sure where you saw SAS was 3Gbps. Maybe you saw the line for the 4 SATA II ports that use the same type of sff-8087 connector? If so you might want to reconsider.
Opps, must have overlooked. How reliable is the board? Any issues?