Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AudioForce

Oct 10, 2020
I hope someone can advise if they are running on windows if they get random BSOD??

I did a research today and it seems there is a major difference between MOBO Rev 1.0 that came with this server and Rev 1.1

You see the one above is Rev 1.1 you can see they added few chipset there and also change the location of the 2 Sata

To compare with Rev 1.0 below

Not sure if this can be the cause why these random BSOD happen and thats why they had a Rev 1.1 out to solve it? Would appreciate if anyone can share there experience using this server and if they have any random BSOD as well? Thanks

AudioForce

Oct 10, 2020
@Prof_G no not using any of the 2, it seems Gigabyte made more changes other than only on these, the comparison here is only what i was able to catch from pictures online for Revision 1.1, the picture on Gigabyte site is for Rev 1.0 also not 1.1 as well

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
maybe try the sata port drive see if its with the SAS connection? eliminate the backplane connection..

burkhartbn

Oct 16, 2020
Has anyone modified their BIOS to enable v3 all core turbo and can share it?
I modified mine, but for some reason my 2 e5-4669's won't go beyond to 2.4. Since there is no where in BIOS I can see to set the multiplier, not sure what to do next. All cores go to 2.9 okay on another x99 desktop motherboard, but I have no experience with server motherboards.

Update: Success! the injected FFS drivers in the BIOS don't seem to work, but if you manually load from the EFI shell it works.
success.jpg
geekbench.JPG

Last edited:

Yames

Oct 18, 2020
good deal regardless, if someone had a basement this would be nice for an access or backup server.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
Has anyone modified their BIOS to enable v3 all core turbo and can share it?
I modified mine, but for some reason my 2 e5-4669's won't go beyond to 2.4. Since there is no where in BIOS I can see to set the multiplier, not sure what to do next. All cores go to 2.9 okay on another x99 desktop motherboard, but I have no experience with server motherboards.

Update: Success! the injected FFS drivers in the BIOS don't seem to work, but if you manually load from the EFI shell it works.
View attachment 16125
View attachment 16126
Disable C States and make sure to enable C1E, P & T States and Turbo mode, then under Processor make sure all cores is set to 0, this should unlock them all

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Looks like a fun system to play with - I wonder if the half-length pcie slot could take a shorty GPU. Anyone end up finding a good rail solution for this?

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
Looks like a fun system to play with - I wonder if the half-length pcie slot could take a shorty GPU. Anyone end up finding a good rail solution for this?
The supermicro rails mentioned earlier in this thread work with holes being drilled, they are currently sold out.
I broke mine trying to put it back in the rack, going to try a shelf rack and see how that goes, may need wood. will update After.

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
I have a couple of these, I like them but they're pretty loud (as most 1U systems are). I'm experimenting with a custom 1U watercooling system, so far it's working pretty well and it's silent.

Reactions: cesmith9999

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
I have a couple of these, I like them but they're pretty loud (as most 1U systems are). I'm experimenting with a custom 1U watercooling system, so far it's working pretty well and it's silent.
what settings do you have them on under the bios? If you crank them up to max they will be extremely loud, if you leave it on energy saving/medium performance they are not that loud at all. (Compared to my dell servers and MD1000 ).

Update: Seller offered me a price of $75 + shipping.

Reactions: nedimzukic2

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
I've got them configured for energy saving and also dialed down the fan setpoints, they're pretty quiet at *idle*, but I put in some dual 12 core v3s and under load they're pretty awful in my opinion

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
Interesting, I am running 2x e5 2678v3 12 core CPU's, it might be due to me using the md1000 as a comparison.
Either way, great servers for running a cluster on, currently running a 3 node nutanix cluster.

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
For those of you asking about rails, I have not been able to find any usable sliding rails, even the microcenter rails required some modification and were a pain to deal with. I instead got some static rails and they work wonderfully.

Recommend:
What I used:

Rack:

I have used both the supermicro rails, which are now out of stock, and the static rails, the static rails work the best imo. cheaper and no modifications needed.

Modified rails:

I hope this helps anyone looking into this server, they are very good and very cheap! I am using mine on 3x nutanix cluster with HA and the 4th is a proxmox machine.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
This is tempting to get 4-5 to cluster...

Anyone running these with a single CPU populated? I didn't see anything in the documentation about what works and what doesn't with CPU 1 only populated.
Running some E5v3 and some E5v4 on Single CPU node each, pretty much everything you will through at it will work from the E5-2600v3/v4 family

V4 just need latest Bios