Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nickb

May 15, 2020
I don't have a SM SQ series to compare it to. I just received cpu/memory to power mine on yesterday and after the BIOS and BMC were updated, I was able to use the PWM offset setting under utilities in the BMC to slow the fans. Currently most fans are running either 2k or 3k rpms.

The BMC spins up the fans on CPU demand fairly quickly, but at idle it is a bit louder than a desktop machine. Much easier to deal with than the 2U quanta machine that I had to do a fan swap on.

On another note, one of my DDR4 memory sticks were faulty and caused the server not to post and stopped at B7 on the chipset initialization screen with no other error message. Once I had that under control and updated the BIOS the server actually specifies the stick and location that failed.
Thanks for the info, what CPU and memory are you running?

Reactions: Samir

Frank Ong

Jan 29, 2017
Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Today I found an unopened box in my garage. It happened to be this server I already forgot all about (both ordering and receiving).
I went to check my ebay purchase history for the order date and noticed that they still have 75 units in stock.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Usually I am more organized than that. But stuff like this is bound to happen when I buy things without having a plan just because the price was right. I was busy when I received it so I just put it aside... and forgot all about it.

I opened it up - the motherboard is rev1.0. It's a bummer. It means that I am going to have problems with using SATADOM - the SATA ports do not have power. Also there is no 5V power anywhere near the ports - I will have to pull wires all the way from the front backplane.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Today I found an unopened box in my garage. It happened to be this server I already forgot all about (both ordering and receiving).
I went to check my ebay purchase history for the order date and noticed that they still have 75 units in stock.
Same price as what you paid too?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The servers are still listed at the same $109 OBO + $30 shipping price they were listed at back then. I accepted whatever extra 15% off offer they sent out. I am willing to bet that they would still gladly accept a comparable offer (~$90 + shipping).

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The original Gigabyte p/n is 25HB2-086300-I0R. It is out of stock everywhere I looked. But I was not going to spend $80 just to rack a $90 server anyway. So I'll grab a generic rail kit from my spare parts bin and drill some holes.

Aiorus

Jun 22, 2020
Hello, all.

I recently got one of this servers, but the 2U version. It started correctly, but then when I turned it on again (was waiting for HDD's) it stopped the boot process with code B1, no new hardware was added. Any ideas what this issue could be?

Thanks.
(Sorry if this is a hijack of a thread)

Aiorus

Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for the tip.

Cleared the CMOS, removed all RAM just to check if it would stop at 53 (it did) and have tried multiple combinations with the RAM, I have 4 sticks, tried multiple slots, and even going with just one stick, swapping it to check if it was a bad stick but it always stops at B1.

Frank Ong

Jan 29, 2017
I’ve always liked to unplug off the server and then change the memory and turn it back on. For some reason it doesn’t like soft power off and dimm swapping

kjboughton

Dec 7, 2017
For those looking for rails:

Contacted eBay seller and asked of any known rail availability.
Response was none available but report from other buyer of compatibility with Supermicro 1U Rail Kit (CSE-PT8L).
I have ordered a unit for test and will report results in about 2 weeks or less given shipping delay for mid-year S/D @ Supermicro.

I can also report rev 1.0 motherboard.

Included shinny copper heatsinks and an extra PCI-e 8x 2x10Gb Emulux SPF+ card installed (probably missed to remove).

Last edited:

kjboughton

Dec 7, 2017
Has anyone updated the BIOS/BMC etc on these v1.0 boards?
BIOS update to R16 OK.

BMC update to 888/488 damn near bricked my system. Used USB-UART level shifter to connect to AST2400 JTAG terminal on board for 115200 baud terminal console. Got to uboot and tftpboot'ed in a BMC recovery image... reset and reboot OK but now constant IPMI and I2C IOCTL error and other anomalies.

I get making a mistake in flash, which I may or may not have done. But I have found no way of recovering this board as a result.

I am actually suspect to believe the 256Mbit flash controller is worn out. It is not socketed which makes this trash.

I am going to go take a shower now.